1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Heavy Metal Limits in Nutraceuticals

Discussion in 'Supplier Quality, Audits & Other Supplier Issues' started by Jack G, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Jack G

Jack G Member

Hi Everyone,

I have recently started in a Quality role in a company within England which sources raw materials (usually from China) and finished products such as vitamins etc.

I am trying to nail down the heavy metal limits for our products and having some great difficulty! From one supplier, we have heavy metal limits that vary based on different capsule contents. I am reading through Regulation (EC) No 1881/2006 and as an example, one of our products is plant derived and they have stated a lead content of ≤1.5ppm, which when reading the regulation is the maximum limit for bivalve molluscs.

Is there anywhere that states nutraceutical limits? I have found one document from the Food Safety Authority of Ireland but not sure that would apply to England.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  2. Jack G

Jack G Member

So after a long search, I have found most of the information that was in the Food Safety Authority of Ireland document. It appears to be an annex and can be found under REGULATION (EC) No 629/2008. There don't appear to be any set limits for Arsenic, however. I have found the maximum limits for Arsenic in food under REGULATION (EU) 2015/1006, but this does seem to be in rice?

Any further guidance on this would be appreciated :)

3. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

4. Jack G

Jack G Member

Thank you, Miner.

I have posted there now for microbial limits.