1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Blow that Whistle! Ethics are alive and well!

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Andy Nichols, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

2. Eric Twiname

Eric Twiname Well-Known Member

A Curiosity...

Has anyone done a survey or comparison of before/after quality of life for whistleblowers?
    I have not heard of one, nor have I looked much at all. Just crossed my mind when my own first reaction to the article was "You're fired."

Andy Nichols likes this.
  3. Eric Twiname

FWIW...I come from a background where if it was reported to me (inside the organization) it would be treated seriously... and my reaction comes from the knowledge that any "whistle blower" is someone who didn't like the response...not that there was intentional negligence or omission.
    BTDT...far easier to use a whistle blower clause than to risk talking to someone internal who might actually resolve the issue...

I understand that some organizations will stonewall such things. But a whistle blower clause actually hurts the companies who are trying to be responsible. Perhaps helps others more, but hurts the responsible ones none-the-less...

4. Mike S.

Mike S. Member

Ethical issues are the issues that have caused me more worry, stress, health problems, lost hair, and lost sleep than any others in my career. Twice I faced serious ethical issues. It is sometimes very hard to do the right thing, and even to know what the right thing is, especially earlier in your career and/or when the potential stakes are very high. In the end all I can say is I acted in a way that allowed me to look into the mirror and look my family and co-workers in the eye and not feel ashamed. My advice is always try to solve it at the lowest level possible.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  5. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Good points Mike. In the IATF CB world, it's so difficult. I'm aware of a situation where the CB auditor has acted in a grossly unethical manner, which (one would hope), this new method would provide a channel for resolution. I fear for the client who blows the whistle, however.

6. Eric Twiname

Seems like it would be a good idea to force a progression, even if someone chooses to use the portal above as a first step (which would be my concern).

For an employee of an IATF organization:
    - Did you report this to your direct supervisor or internal quality manager? If not, go there first. If so, please give their contact information.
    - Was this reported to the CB directly first? If not, go there next. If so, please give their contact information.

Reporting something "anonymously" has a a lot of draw...but "whistle blowing" should be at earliest step 3...