1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Covid 19 addressing

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Qualmx, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Hello everyone
    What are you doing in your qms about 6.1 (risks ) because of coronavirus disease?.
    As some said somewhere, do nothing?
    Just to wait the end? Like the apocalypse?
    Please share your concerns.
    Thanks

Jessica R likes this.
  2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

If no-one is at work, there's more to be concerned about than the mechanics of a singular element of the standard, surely...

Nikki, tony s, Qualmx and 1 other person like this.
  3. Oudai Doorandan

Oudai Doorandan New Member

For our QMS I am doing a temporary management of change to address the changes we've made. We have also developed a document outlining the risk to the business and how we are addressing those risks.

4. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Oudai, are you following some method to evaluate the risk value?

5. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @Qualmx ;
    Apologies if my response sounds curt, however, I am perplexed that the question about "risk" (and "contingency") keeps coming up on this and other forums specific to coronavirus .

Within "risk" (and "contingency") there are all type of specific situations/details that we have never considered before coronavirus, so why now? Why is this different?

Keep in mind the intent of the authors (ISO). The scope of ISO 9001 (paraphrased) is as follows...

1-
    a) Provide conforming products
    b) Keep improving in order to keep increasing customer satisfaction

So, what are the risks that can prevent 1- a) and b) ?

It's ANY disruption to available labor force. This might be any of a multitude of viruses/illnesses, labor strike etc...etc....etc..etc..etc...etc..etc...etc...etc...etc..etc....etc...etc....

I would assume (hope) that organizations already consider ANY disruption to labor or other event that would prevent 1- a) and b). I doubt your organization specifically listed "H1N1 virus", or "Swine flu" or "Ebola" or "Influenza" or "SARS" or "Zika" or ........

So why THIS virus specifically?

Think broad, don't get embroiled in each individual instance. You'll drown.

Hope this helps. Be well.

6. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Agreed, @John C. Abnet ! To be equally frank, the risk of a group getting salmonella poisoning at the company barbecue is probably higher!

Nikki, Qualmx and John C. Abnet like this.
  7. Oudai Doorandan

Oudai Doorandan New Member

I agree with John C Abnet, the org should plan for its external environment.

To supplement that, if your company has a business continuity plan there should be strategy\ies documented there to deal with an event as these.

I did an MOC because we have implemented changes throughout the organization that will several processes, as with any change there should be evidence to track it and show approval etc.

Qualmx with reference to your question, we have our risk methodology (developed by our HSSE manager) that we use to assess risk.

8. Jessica R

Jessica R Member

In our case, we started a Risk assessment to consider scenarios, how they would impact us, and if we could do anything preventative.

As things have progressed over the last couple weeks, we have been contacted by customers and suppliers that are in states where mandatory stay-at-home orders have been issued and businesses are shutting down. In these cases, we review and take action accordingly.

We have a weekly team meeting and we make sure to openly discuss any concerns; our staff is currently working willingly - yes, the option is available without consequence.
    Mind you, we are a smaller-staffed company, so we are pretty spread out and about half of us have the ability to work from home.

I hope this helps!

tony s and Qualmx like this.