1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

NCR defined?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Wade S, Feb 18, 2020.

1. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Can you cite examples (in your world) of payment reduction because of nonconformity to ISO 9001 specific requirements?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

For clarification's sake (since we seem to have diverged) are you requiring RCCA for everything that is found non-conforming? THAT might be part of the problem!

tony s likes this.
  3. RPNYVB

RPNYVB Member

I can provide more detail via PM if you're interested, but we've seen $ withheld for specific hardware defects as well as larger $ amounts for repeat QMS non-compliances. The two I am most familiar with related to 1) a well-documented history of the organization's ineffective RCCA, and 2) a well-documented history of the organization's inability to document and control non-conforming parts. To be clear, payments were withheld--not after a single issue--but based on an accumulation of many issues related to these ISO 9001 requirements.

4. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

It's easy to understand that a certain amount will be charged by a customer for nonconforming products/services delivered by a supplier. However, withholding a fraction of a payment due to NCs against a management system standard would seem difficult to accept. How much would you withhold for the error-free services delivered by a contractor representative who failed to demonstrate awareness to their quality policy?

5. BradM

BradM Moderator Staff Member

One would hope that the organization would best understand their processes. If the company has identified certain failures while processing WIP as... "expected", it doesn't mean its a bad thing or that it could contribute to potential bad finished product. They could have process mechanisms in place that catch these potential issues prior to arriving at the finished product.

So the organization might focus on issuing NCR when an unexpected failure occurs (like with final inspection).

6. RPNYVB

RPNYVB Member

Yes, and easier to accept by everyone involved. As you can imagine though, the $ amount is disputed.

You can say that again. But, it's been done.

If the supply/service were defect-free, yet an aspect of ISO 9001 were not being complied with, I'd expect the customer to no longer want to continue to pay for something they weren't getting. At the same time, if the customer is receiving defect-free supplies, on time, they may chose to ignore certain things. How to calculate an amount to withhold? As you can imagine the customer and supplier will disagree on how to do so!

7. Andy Nichols

Good luck with going to court with that one! Watch the judge throw the claim out the door. You got what was in the contract.

8. Wade S

Wade S New Member

It seems this has been a very active topic and it is very interesting to see how it morphed into money, lawyers and a judge in a court case. I am all too familiar with holdback clauses and have enacted only 2 with the support of the Project Manager, Contracts Manager and plenty of objective evidence at the table...but I digress on that point.

My question was quite deliberate in that I wanted to know if any of our learned QA colleagues have run into a similar issue where a Non-Conformance has been discovered by a client representative but the supplier or contractor will not document the occurence citing a Nonconformance Report isnt needed because the work isnt fully completed.

Example: Concrete is poured into a plywood form on our plant site. The form was installed 90 degrees off from what the drawing called for. The contractor performed a prepour inspection per their contract and the checklist showed a checkmark against FORMS IN POSITION PER DRAWINGS. The problem was discovered by the owner's inspector after the forms were removed. The pedestal was so far out of position that is had to be demolished and redone. The contractor refused to acknowledge the Non-Conformance citing the pedestal had not been turned over to the client and that it would be corrected of which is was. This same contractor had this problem 3 more times but the owners inspector caught it during the rebar installation. The owner's inspector documented the problem on our own NCR form and issued it to the contractor who then refused it stating the NCR wasn't necessary. We(client QA) stated it was necessary and had to bring our Contract Adminstrator to the table who then enacted certain contractual clauses. The contractor had no choice and had to provide an explanation as to how rebar was being installed incorrectly. It turned out the rebar crew was using old drawings and were never provided with the right ones AND the prepour inspection also missed this fact and permitted the pour to move ahead on at least one pedestal. So NCR point#2 is the pre-pour inspection did not employ the correct drawings either. The contractor finally admitted they had a problem and enacted a check to ensure the rebar and form crews validated their drawings each day before they started. The problems dropped off immediatly and the contractor got a better crew and stopped losing money for the rework. (This is a lump sum project too).

This is but one example where I have a valid issue and a contractor who refused to acknowledge or accept it until they have a real example shoved in their hands to prove the point.

So my main question: Has anyone had simlar experiences and if so what was done to change the contractor/supplier attitude towards recording Nonconformances when they are identifed?

The person who posted a story about NCR triggers in the steel mill was most helpful and gave me an idea about reducing our common pain points. So thanks!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  9. Andy Nichols

I believe that part of the issue lays in the specific industry approach towards these practices and, hence, the responses. For the most part, ISO 9001 has been adopted by product manufacturing organizations. Your case appears to relate to the construction industry where the take up of ISO 9001 has been "spotty" to say the least. In the USA it's almost non-existent. The UK has pursued it, partly due to a flowdown from HM Government who own a significant amount of land/buildings etc. Indeed, the UK Construction Industry has only recently published guidelines on Quality Management in Construction!

I'd suggest that the responses here come from a typical manufacturing perspective and also that the implementation of a ISO 9001 type QMS in construction is relatively immature (a huge generalization, I know) and the reactions you describe, by the contractor are not unusual. Experience shows there's huge waste in construction which a more mature, systems approach would help correct.

10. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

To be fair to the contractor - aka playing the devil's advocate - I would want an real example put into my hands as well before accepting a nonconformance. If someone is going to complain or dispute my product/service, I need to see evidence. How else am I to determine the root cause and take suitable action to prevent recurrence?...or, even dispute it with my own evidence that may be contrary to that which came with the complaint?

In the steel world, yes, we had issues with contractors. We worked the terminology, parameters, protocols, etc. into our contracts with them. If we detected an issue before the job was complete, again, we had our triggers. Some things were annoying, but it was treated as a quick wham-bam-let's-get-back-to-making-steel. The events that warranted this type of approach were noted in a log so that we could, where appropriate, have conversations with our contractors to discuss an increasing tread (or sometimes a decreasing trend - yay!) of the minor issues. The larger stuff, though, those issues where there was going to be a significant impact to quality, environment, and/or health and safety, we had it written into our contract that we could issue a formal nonconformance report. We collaborated on the root cause and action plan and resolution. Playing nicely together was a necessity - yes, we were the customer, but these contractors were practically embedded within our site. Still, at the end of the day, it was OUR product going out the door (or not if the contractor had really messed up) and it was OUR name and reputation out there. Having a healthy and transparent relationship with our contractors was part of our vendor management approach.

Happy the triggers idea gave you a possible option to explore. As indicated above, we had triggers even with our contractors - they may not have been directly touching our product that went out to customers, but their service impacted our ability to provide a product that met requirements.

11. RPNYVB

RPNYVB Member

Wade, is the contractor contractually bound to ISO 9001?

12. RPNYVB

RPNYVB Member

The customer doesn't take the contractor to court; they just submit a reduced payment. The customer has accumulated a pile of indisputable evidence before taking it to that point.

13. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Documenting nonconformances as a result of inspection activities (as specified in the contract) should be clear to both parties. I'm assuming that both the OP and the contractor is in the construction industry and well aware that there must be monitoring/measurement at every stages during the span of the project. If these inspection activities and documentation of their results are well specified in the contract, plus specifying that non-action on discrepancies will result to non-acceptance of progress billings, the contractor attitude on recording nonconformances should not be a problem.

14. Andy Nichols

See post #4