1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Profile and Basic Dimensions

Discussion in 'GD&T Standards and Practices - ASME & ISO' started by Kent L, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Kent L

Kent L New Member

I have a question concerning the use of these. If you have a basic dimension that has a deviation of .01" can you possibly have a profile reading of .000? I think the part in question will be fine, I just need to know if my thinking on the subject is correct. My thought is that it cannot work that way. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

2. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

You are going to have to provide some specifics like the section of drawing with the callouts, the datums and the basic dimensions.

Kent L and Andy Nichols like this.
  3. _Zeno_

_Zeno_ Member

No, the profile equals the maximum deviation from nominal times two. In your example, the profile equals .020 (assuming .010 is the worst deviation).

Quality Guy, Kent L and Andy Nichols like this.
  4. Kent L

Kent L New Member

Miner, I'd like to, but due to the nature of my business, I'm not allowed. Zeno, thanks. That was my thinking and yes, .010 is the worst deviation. My company is getting ready to host a GD&T course for some of our newer inspectors and engineers and also representatives from our suppliers, but it doesn't happen until March. I've been through 3 different courses over that last 30 years and the new changes are always a challenge.