1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Gauge R&R or just R?

Discussion in 'Gage R&R and MSA - Measurement Systems Analysis' started by Jason Faas, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Jason Faas

Jason Faas New Member

I work for a driveshaft manufacturer and we use Gauge R&R as a tool for approving all of our driveshaft gauges. The other day I was running an R&R on our new Jenoptik Opticline gauge. The shaft variant has a stub shaft on one end and a U-Joint yoke on the other. Our gauge engineer stated that we need to make sure and mark the shafts so that every operator puts the part in the exact same way. With this being a cylinder, I told him that radial position shouldnt matter because the shafts are pretty much symmetrical and we are measuring length and 2 runouts. I told him that if you mark the shafts to ensure every operator is putting the shaft in the exact same way, are you really getting a true R&R or are you just checking to see if the gauge will repeat?

2. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

As with most things it depends. It depends on how much other interaction teh operator has with the Guage. And that is a factor that effects all kinds of measurements. Ensuring that the measurement Guage always measures the same location on a part in a measurement study is one way of eliminating the effect of within part variation. This can be substantial even with parts that ‘supposed’ to be symmetrical. The measurement study is intended to be performed as designed - then we deconstruct the components of variation if it doesnt’ pass. Your Guage engineer is wrong. Measurement studies are about the entire system including the parts. They are never only about the guage itself.

fitri, Andy Nichols and Miner like this.