1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Not all inputs covered in Management Review - NC?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by tony s, Jun 23, 2019.

?

Do you agree or disagree with the audit finding? And why?

1. Agree

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Disagree

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

If asked whether we considered the issues, I can just verbally explain to the auditor that the topics at our management committee (ManCom) meetings have considered those 9.3.2 inputs that are relevant. We don't treat each input as an agenda to the ManCom meetings as most organizations do by having a checklist-type of minutes of the meeting. The agenda on our ManCom (at least once a month) may vary depending on the pressing issues that we need to discuss. For example:
    • In January 2019, when we review whether our performance targets were achieved for the last quarter of Y2018 - we can verbally explain to the auditor that 9.3.2c.2; 9.3.2c.3 and 9.3.2c.5 were covered;
    • At any month, if we had major product issues or complaint from a customer that we need to resolve during a ManCom meeting - we can verbally explain to the auditor that 9.3.2c.1; 9.3.2c.3 and 9.3.2c.4 were covered;
    • When our Purchasing Manager presents the quarterly performance of the suppliers, including issues with suppliers that must be resolved - we can verbally explain to the auditor that 9.3.2c.7; 9.3.2c.5 and 9.4.2c.4 were covered;
    • When our Internal Auditor presents their audit results or our Operations Manager presents the customer audit results with NCs and OFIs respectively - we can verbally explain to the auditor that 9.3.2c.1; 9.4.2c.4; 9.3.2c.6 and 9.3.2f were covered;
    • Since our Internal Auditor is tasked to evaluate effectiveness of the actions to address risks, a summary of the evaluation comes with the audit report - thus 9.3.2e is also covered;
    • Every ManCom meeting, the plan of actions to address issues raised from previous meetings are verified - thus 9.3.2a is covered;
    • When we discussed about the construction of a new plant on another province - this clearly covered 9.3.2b and 9.3.2d
    All the ManCom meetings are minuted but not in the style of a checklist as per 9.3.2. We file them one-binder per year. So if CB auditors come to audit every year, I just have to get a binder and show and explain to the auditor should he/she ask whether we considered the 9.3.2 inputs.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  2. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

What is your definition of an "evidence"?

Andy Nichols likes this.
  3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

That's ONE way to do management review. By meeting. It's not required, therefore there's other forms of evidence. available.

4. Andy Nichols

Typically, people performing a review of the QMS aren't fools, so why does it need to be "fool-proof"?

tony s likes this.
  5. Andy Nichols

We don't implement a QMS to avoid a CB auditor finding. It's almost a practical impossibility, since many are all over the map with their knowledge, experiences and training. We've had a couple here at QFO and they clearly demonstrated a bias towards certain things - not requirements - being in place, to suit their expectations.

6. Andy Nichols

Not if the bill isn't paid, they don't. A CB or CB auditor who thinks they are in this position has no business being in auditing.

7. Andy Nichols

The CB doesn't want to lose revenue...

8. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

You claim that you're an auditor. And you only accept record/s as the only form of evidence/s? I provided a definition from ISO 19011:2018 and it clearly stated that "statements of fact" is one form of an evidence. I even provided a reference from APG Guidance by the IAF that says "Auditors should be aware that objective evidence does not necessarily depend on the existence of documented information, except where specifically mentioned in ISO 9001".

When I offer my position, I, usually, see to it that it is backed by relevant references. The same is true when I audit. There must be objectivity.

9. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Not entirely true. ISO 17021-1:2015 calls the organization whose management system is being audited for certification purposes a "client". CB organizations are external providers of certification services. They are not regulatory bodies. If an organization deems that they are being served by incompetent providers, they can terminate the business. That's where "fool-proofing" the system comes to play.

We've previously fire a CB auditor and ordered the CB to not send the troublesome auditor on future audits because that auditor cannot accept that the "strategic objectives" of our top management are "quality objectives". In a previous organization, we fire the CB because their auditor cannot accept that internal monitoring of air emissions cannot be a substitute to external monitoring, where no requirements exists.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  10. Andy Nichols

Unless you are familiar with the inner workings of a CB, you can't really claim this - as Tony points out ISO/IEC 17021 makes certain provisions for such situations. As a customer of a CB you may wish to buy a copy of 17021 so that you don't have to "roll-over" when you encounter an incompetent auditor who writes a non-conformity for your lack of training, not covering all the MR inputs etc.

tony s likes this.
  11. Andy Nichols

I thought you stated you are a Quality Manager at a PCP manufacturer? In the "Welcome" sub forum, you posted this:

"I am the Quality System Improvement manager for a 210 person PCP assembly company. We are considered as a supplier to larger telecommunications/computer providers. I hope to gather information from the experience people on this forum and to my input. We are registered to the ISO9001:2015 standard."

You audit for a CB? You're a QM? I'm confused...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  12. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

You can dispute. I had a nonconformity for whiteout on a calibration record overturned because there was no specific "shall" prohibiting whiteout.

13. Andy Nichols

Aha - so you were previously registered as "Yukon" and Martin_suda and banned, subsequently... what makes you think you can attack people, be banned and then return under a different name?

14. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Darn, I missed all the fun. :)

Andy Nichols likes this.
  15. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

I agree with verbal evidence. But how does the auditor know you're not BSing him? I had one auditor tell me if it wasn't "written" it didn't happen. He no longer audits us. :)

tony s and Andy Nichols like this.
  16. Andy Nichols

Good question! Confidence (in the answers given by the auditee) and knowing how to detect the BS! If a Process Owner tells you they covered the "yellow" and "red" status items on the score card (and shows you that) and describes what's being done to remedy them (leading to a record of that), an auditor shouldn't have a problem. (But we know some will)

17. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Then what you've experienced is a perfect example of "fool-proofing" a system against incompetent auditors. A competent auditor can discern whether he/she is being fooled by the auditee. A competent auditor doesn't need to see a checklist to be convinced that the 9.3.2 inputs were covered. Anybody can, actually, fabricate a checklist-type minutes of the meeting with entries on each input, make the statements believable as if they were really discussed or set aside for the meantime, present them to the auditor and - voila! Auditor is happy.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  18. Izzul Asyraf

Izzul Asyraf New Member

[QUOTE="You have to complete the statement which is, categorically, "The organization shall retain documented information as evidence of the results of management reviews". The standard requires retaining of documented information as "evidence of the results" and not "evidence of inputs covered" or "evidence of management reviews".[/QUOTE]

can you elaborate more on this. Because by providing evidence of "evidence of inputs covered" or "evidence of management reviews" we already cover the evidence of the results.

So can you tell me what do u mean evidence of the result. What type of document information will fulfill the requirement "evidence of the result"?

19. Izzul Asyraf

Izzul Asyraf New Member

hi Can you us what is the other method to conduct management review beside meeting. Some detailed explanation not to burden. Thank you,

20. Andy Nichols

Yes! Why not, for example, have someone compile a (brief) analysis of the various topics in the 9.3 requirements and circulate that to the management team, with a clear indication that responses are required by a certain date. I've done this for small companies and it can work well. Sadly an auditor didn't "like" it, but they didn't come back to do another audit...