1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

IATF 16949:2016 Clause 8.2.2.1 Determining the Requirements for Products and Services

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Fred2911, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Fred2911

Fred2911 New Member

Hello Everyone,

My plastic injection molding company just went through Stage II of our initial IATF 16949:2016 audit. One of the minor findings related to Section 8 of the standard under the "quoting" process.

The statement of non conformity is as follows: The process for determining requirements for product and services is not fully effective.

As for objective evidence: No evidence that determination of requirements includes recycling and environmental impact.

8.2.2.1 Determining the Requirements for Products and Services – Supplemental
    These requirements shall include recycling, environmental impact, and characteristics identified as a result of the organization’s knowledge of the product and manufacturing processes.
    Compliance to Section 8.2.2 item a) 1, shall include but not be limited to the following: all applicable government, safety, and environmental regulations related to acquisition, storage, handling, recycling, elimination, or disposal of material.

Can anyone provide any examples or provide any insight on how I might be able to satisfy this requirement?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Welcome:

Did the auditor determine that your knowledge of the materials would determine if you had to ask/clarify with the customer what they were asking for/you were supplying? Seems like the auditor is simply grasping at straws for a Non-conformity.

I'm answering from the PoV of both plastic molding automotive (tier 1) and having been in sales and written a few quotes...

3. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Did you, do you, consider regrind percentages in your quotes? Or as part of your operation plan? If you do, kick it back to him because that is the very definition of recycling. Good luck.

4. Fred2911

Fred2911 New Member

Andy, Golfman,

Our minor non-conformance has been closed. I read "between" lines a little bit more and resubmitted the NC-R with quotes from our customer and the attached form we adopted from our IATF consultant. He was just looking for verbiage in Section D for which I simply put None in each section.

Thanks so much for your help!

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

5. leyladonmez

leyladonmez Member

Hello,

I want to clearify something about OEM parts.
    How can we decide that the part is aspect/appearance part or not?
    For example we have a hood insulator for Renault.
    We see it when we open the front of car.
    When it is closed we can't see the hood insulator.
    Is it appearance part or not?
    Does customer gives official written explanation or guide about that?
    How can we decide?

6. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

The requirements in 8.2.2 are not just about "order taking". The standard doesn't require your organization to ask your customer for environmental and safety requirements (i.e. Client Assessment Report). The standard requires an organization to determine, NOT just by asking the customer, the requirements for product based on your organization's knowledge of the product. If your product has safety or environmental impact and must comply with regulatory requirements, these must be determined by your organization and, again, NOT by asking the customer.

8.2.2 can also be an input when designing your product (8.3.3). If your organization can demonstrate that requirements related to safety, environment and other requirements are known and are complied with, any auditor should not have any issue about this.

Nicholas777 likes this.