1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Supplier Surveys - Waste or warranted

Discussion in 'Other Quality and Business Related Topics' started by Claes Gefvenberg, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I used to complete them. A typical question: "Do you have a system for the calibration of gauges which would be used on our products? Y/N" - to which the answer was "Y"... But the system was crap and we didn't catch some gauges which were worn beyond use within months...

2. Eric Twiname

Eric Twiname Well-Known Member

Curiosity: Wouldn't it be better to ask those same questions either by phone or by Skype?

You would get the same answers (probably) and also establish one more pinion for an ongoing relationship.
    Perhaps that still counts as a "Supplier Survey"...but it personalizes it rather than being one more annoying piece of email.

Just thinking out loud...

3. Tom Waite

Tom Waite Member

It was explained to me two years ago that supplier self audits are not "allowed' anymore in lieu of ISO registration. If you have an organization that is not ISO or TS and you purchase something from them that goes into a auto, you must visit their location and complete an audit, or have waivers from every customer that says you can use them.

As an organization we made the decision that if the auditor wants to write a nonconformance for us not traveling 1000 miles to audit someone we spend $400.00 a year to purchase a foam sheet that we cut into the part used in the car - GO FOR IT! Waste is waste and no registration body has the authority to tell an organization they must waste money to meet the intent of the standard to keep your registration. That is a self preserving clause in the standard that is absurd.

The challenge here is the difference of opinions on the requirements. I had a well respected auditor say I met this clause by putting into our terms and conditions of our quotes, "we may from time to time have to use suppliers that are not ISO or TS registered, by acceptance of his quotation you, the customer, acknowledge and waive the requirement that we must use ISO / TS registered suppliers."

Another auditor told me no way that meets the intent of the standard.

4. Andy Nichols

It won't be a CB that tells you to do that, Tom. It'll be an auditor who should be shown the door. Sadly, however a CB might try to monitor what their auditors do (and some clearly don't give a fig, based on the way they hire etc) it's almost impossible to "catch" auditors who might suggest you need to do such a thing.

5. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

I agree with all that has been said. Our suppliers are audited t the service level agreement in their contract. Also we reevaluate them according to their response to the Supplier Corrective Actions. They are being visited anually.

6. Tom Waite

Tom Waite Member

Andy, Do you know if this interpretation of the "requirement" is accurate? I resisted and she pulled out some sanctioned interpretation and tried to prove it to me. She was convinced we needed to actually travel to go do the audit in person - a self-audit checklist was not acceptable.

7. Andy Nichols

Tom: I can find no "sanctioned interpretation" at the IATF website which says such a thing. I'm guessing the auditor is confused over what the CB has to do with what a client (implementer) must do. We know this is quite a common confusion.

8. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

"Sanctioned" could mean it is the agreed-upon interpretation within your CB's organization in an effort to standardize the results of their auditors. I compare this to debating with my father who is notorious (within the family) for uttering the phrase "They say...". The day I called him out on who THEY are, is the day I started to 'win' discussions with him. I would question who has sanctioned this interpretation, keeping in mind that sanctioned or not, until the standard states "The organization SHALL conduct all supplier audits in-person, recognizing that supplier self-auditors are not admissible as evidence of conformance to requirements....blahblahblah...", you are still only seeing an interpretation, not a requirement.

Claes Gefvenberg and PaulJSmith like this.
  9. PaulJSmith

PaulJSmith Well-Known Member

^^^ Exactly, Roxane. ISO 9001 is very clear in it's lack of a "shall" for on-site audits of suppliers.

Paragraph 2
    "The organization shall evaluate and select suppliers based on their ability to supply product in accordance with the organization's requirements. Criteria for selection, evaluation and re-evaluation shall be established. Records of the results of evaluations and any necessary actions arising from the evaluation shall be maintained."

As with pretty much everything in that standard, they tell you you must do it, but not how you must do it.

GStough likes this.
  10. Andy Nichols

I checked with my industry technical dude and he says that, unless it's a customer specific requirement (and they are YOUR customer) he knows of no requirement to visit suppliers... I'm thinking you should advise your CB their auditor(s) have whacked out interpretations...

Tom Waite, PaulJSmith and Nikki like this.
  11. MCW8888

The ISO certificate alone does not mitigate the supplier from shipping nonconforming products. I would require evidence of process capability.

12. JCIC49

JCIC49 Member

The comments raised are all very interesting and sound similar to what I have seen and what I have done

When I joined my current company they were using a survey that was a spread sheet with multiple tabs. We had suppliers who wouldn't fill it in couldn't fill it in.

What I did was change it to a 2 page document, with the main information being are you certified if so who with and are they appropriately accredited as I have seen the problem with certificates being issued by non-accredited organisations. The other main question is who is your contact for QA so if I have a problem I know who to talk to.

The questionnaire is only part of the supplier control, with the main part looking at other areas, number of rejects against volume of parts supplied, on-time delivery, response to issues raised and talking to supply chain as to who they have the most issues with. We also consider what is the supplier providing to us, and are they considered a critical supplier. I know people will say all suppliers are critical but working in Medical Devices, some are considered more critical than others, as you need to define who these are to your Notified Body and in if you are supplying devices in the EU the supplier is open to an unannounced audit from your notified body.

From all of this information we then decided who we get to audit, especially as I don't have the resource to look at every supplier.

Jon

Claes Gefvenberg likes this.
  13. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Of course having a certificate does not mean that the supplier won't ship nonconforming products...just as having no certificate does not mean that only nonconforming products will be shipped. Just because you have a driver's license, that doesn't mean you're free from traffic tickets. What the certificate is supposed to mean is that the supplier has established processes in place that will help resolve the issue regarding any nonconforming product.

A supplier survey, in my experience, typically requests the organization to describe their corrective action process or customer complaint process or refund process or any other process that exists regarding dealing with me, the customer, should I have an issue with what was sent. If a supplier has ISO 9001 or some other recognized Quality Management System, it is expected that they have these processes and they do not need to tell me what they are. As the customer, I am to trust that they will have something in place if it becomes required.

To be honest, I also don't really care about their process capability...as the customer, all I care about is that I receive the stuff I wanted, when I wanted it. My own incoming/receiving process will be the objective evidence to support (or not support) the supplier's current status on my vendor list.

Now, if my incoming/receiving process shows that they continually send stuff I don't want AND yet they are certified to a recognized QMS, this may require some additional actions outside of the scope of this thread.

14. MCW8888

Thank you for your feedback Roxane

15. Andy Nichols

Many people don't really "get" the reason for certification and would do well to revisit their knowledge compared to mythology and the REAL reason for certificates.

It's simply an independent verification that an organization possesses the basic "blocking and tackling" QMS in accordance with ISO 9001 (or other recognized) requirements. This ONLY means that in selecting or engaging a supplier with a certificate, you should NOT have to do supplier development on such basics. Of course, as with any supplier, if they don't deliver to your (stated) requirements, then everyone has to ask themselves why that could have happened. There's usually fault on BOTH sides. Accepting a "certificate" is going to be anything but a basic verification (lift the hood and kick the tires) is to misunderstand the purpose of certification. As a supply chain professional, I would rather spend my time working out the niceties of why the supplier system failed than helping to build the blocks of a QMS from scratch - because it's a heck of a lot more expensive and the supplier gets more out of your sweat equity than you do.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    RoxaneB likes this.
  16. Eric Twiname

There's an interesting concept to noodle on...:rolleyes:

17. Andy Nichols

It's a lot easier to work on a (small) corrective action, than build an entire supplier QMS, Eric...

18. James

James Active Member

I'd suggest talking to the third party registrar about the auditor, you don't have to be bullied by one. If they share the same viewpoint then you might want to find a different CB, there are plenty of options out there. Shoot me a PM if you'd like to know who we use. This also may be too obvious to say but definitely give the auditor a "show me the shall" from the actual standard when they try to make you do stuff or bring in some "sanctioned" thing.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  19. Eric Twiname

I was just noting the words, Andy...and enjoying the irony, not disagreeing.
    I've simply never found a system failure to have any grains of "nice"...and got a kick out of the wording.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  20. zac2944

zac2944 New Member

Agreed. Never thought about qualifying based on cpk.