1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

ISO 26262 ??

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by John C. Abnet, Jun 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day all;
    I am posting this here (incorrectly) simply to gain exposure and hopefully have the moderators/others redirect my post and/or provide some feedback through DM, etc... I am working with an organization that designs an automotive system. The system uses electronics, which are NOT designed by nor manufactured by the design organization. The design organization's OEM customer, however, is stating that the design organization is required to be "certified" to ISO 26262. This raises a lot of questions, and I am hoping someone within the QFO family can weigh in or provide some direction/council to me regarding this.

Thanks in advance.

Be well.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Simples! An organization can't be "certified" to this standard, since it's not a management system requirement from what I can tell.

3. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Since organizations can only obtain certification to "requirement" standards, I believe ISO 26262, with its supplemental standards, can be used as a standard where organizations can demonstrate conformance and can obtain certification. For example:

ISO 26262-2:2018 Road vehicles — Functional safety — Part 2: Management of functional safety

This document specifies the requirements for functional safety management for automotive applications, including the following:
    — project-independent requirements with regard to the organizations involved (overall safety management), and
    — project-specific requirements with regard to the management activities in the safety lifecycle, i.e. management during the concept phase and the product development phases (at the system, hardware and software level), and regarding production, operation, service and decommissioning.

ISO 26262-3:2018 Road vehicles — Functional safety — Part 3: Concept phase

This document specifies the requirements for the concept phase for automotive applications, including the following:
    — item definition;
    — hazard analysis and risk assessment; and
    — functional safety concept.

ISO 26262-4:2018 Road vehicles — Functional safety — Part 4: Product development at the system level

This document specifies the requirements for product development at the system level for automotive applications, including the following:
    — general topics for the initiation of product development at the system level;
    — specification of the technical safety requirements;
    — the technical safety concept;
    — system architectural design;
    — item integration and testing; and
    — safety validation.

John C. Abnet likes this.