1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Audits/Checklist

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Laura, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Laura

Laura New Member

I am looking for a mini/monthly audit/checklist to supplement my ISO 9001 internal audit process. Does anyone have anything like this?

2. johnnymo77

johnnymo77 Active Member

I picked up these somewhere along the way.

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

WARNING WILL ROBINSON!!! (or should I say Laura and johnnymo)

Firstly, the file attachment is NOT much use as an internal audit check list for so many reasons, on so many levels... (I'll explain later if you really need me to)

Secondly, what's a

I'm confused...

Jennifer Kirley likes this.
  4. Laura

Laura New Member

For food safety I do an monthly GMP/Food Defense audit and do the full internal audit for both food safety and quality (ISO 22000/ISO 9001) but wanted to see if there is some type of audit that is not as in depth as the full internal audit for quality?

5. Andy Nichols

Are you doing one QMS audit a year? Are you auditing to ISO 9001?

6. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

How about a process audit?
    • Review the related policies, procedures, work instructions, other documents and records is any
    • Review who is responsible for what, and how they are told what they are responsible for
    • Review customer requirements, external and internal (related processes that provide things this process needs, and/or processes that need what this process ends up with
    • Review the success metrics (what does "winning" look like? If not that, what does "failure" look like?)
    • Review what is required to be measured, and how that is to be done, when and what happens with the results
    • Review the process: interview people, inquire about their responsibilities and how they perform their work
    • Observe the process people performing tasks if practical (like inspection)
    • Review instrumentation calibration, if any
    • Review produced items and/or raw material is handled properly and can be identified
    • Review current status of documentation, records (if any) are retained according to plan
    • Review equipment maintenance, if applicable, and that needed supplies are available and correct
    • Review required competencies and how they are achieved and documented
    • Review changes since last year. Improvements? Changes are done in a controlled manner?
    The checklist that johnnymo77 provided has these things, but that checklist only mentions them once and these things can happen many times in an organization, some in every process. Do we really want to ask the questions only once?

7. KyleG

KyleG Active Member

One of the very last things i have to do for my QMS is create an internal audit schedule....do i literally have to put im going to audit this process on this day at this time during this quarter. Or do RECORDS of audits count.... We have a weekly Manager meeting where we cover a large portion of the internal audit pertaining to customer satisfaction quality infrastructure etc. I just dont have a written down schedule....

8. Andy Nichols

This is one of those myths and the answer is NO! You need to plan them. There needs to be a frequency, but I always use details of the current performance of the QMS to decide WHAT to audit. I put a place holder in the schedule and then decide, based on customer feedback, process performance etc what is going to be audited. KISS

KyleG and Jennifer Kirley like this.
  9. BufferMess

BufferMess Member

For a mini/monthly audit, process audits are more than enough to verify the processes are efficient at delivering conforming outputs.

For food safety, you should use a PRP verification checklist.

10. Andy Nichols

I don't think that'll work for ISO 22000 internal audits.

11. BufferMess

BufferMess Member

The OP already has a verification plan for food safety system but she wants to make it simple for monthly audits (inspections?). Audits are not officially classified on a time basis. A more appropriate approach would be adopting "risk based thinking" for food safety audits where you inspect processes and activities with higher risk of food safety more frequently. There is no standard format for this type of combined audits. The OP should prepare a special audit checklist applicable to her organization. Adopting generic checklists is wrong.

12. Andy Nichols

The OP asked for an internal audit checklist for ISO 9001. Since we have yet to confirm her approach which she feels needs supplementing, how can we answer?

13. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Maybe the OP can adopt something like what the automotive standard requires where organizations need to perform a) QMS audit, b) manufacturing process audit and c) product audit. The OP can just concentrate on performing b).