1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

ISO Registry?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by KyleG, Mar 26, 2019.

1. KyleG

KyleG Active Member

Hey guys,
    I was wondering if there was an ISO registry anywhere. Basically i am looking for markets to expand into and looking for companies in need of coating services that require an ISO certification. Im wondering if any body has experience with this. Any information is appreciated.
    Thanks

2. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Markets or additional companies in the field(s) your organization currently supports? Not sure if an ISO registry would be of assistance - your local business bureau should have of most companies in your area (or the geographic area you wish to expand into) - where you could find companies worth reaching out to. From there, maybe your organizations QMS certification could be considered a benefit within the initial first steps of establishing a relationship.

Something else to consider - strategic alliances. Consider some of end users in fields that your organization would like to get into, however, perhaps your organization cannot do it alone. If you partner up with another company (i.e., pair your products together) you might have a product that the market wants. I've been learning about Blue Ocean Strategy and some of the approaches to take in order to expand into a new market where there is little (if any) competition.

3. KyleG

KyleG Active Member

were looking into Strategic alliances, for example, I know (highly doubt) we are going to start coating parts for dodge, ford etc. However, i feel like we will be more successful in targeting aftermarket parts companies. I dont think the average person driving a toyota camry is going to care what color their engine block is but i know that someone driving a Subaru WRX or a Mitsubishi EVO, might want their turbo a different color, so we looking to target people like Garret Turbochargers, Cobb Tuning Etc.
    With you Having around the same thought Roxane makes me optimistic.

4. RoxaneB

It would be a fascinating venture if, say Subaru or Mitsubishi, (or even Toyota), created an aftermarket division that specialized in customizing their own cars. Getting in on something like that could be interesting. Because dealerships are franchises - I think - you probably can't approach a local dealership to see if they're interested in trying this business line out...or can you? ;)

I also did a search for "national aftermarket auto customizing", thinking if there was a nationwide aftermarket customizing company you could partner up with.

What about car/auto trade shows to look for possible partners, alliance, and business? A friend of mine, who is the VP of Engineering for a packaging company, often goes to trade shows to look for new networks and possible alliances to address anticipated market demands.

5. KyleG

KyleG Active Member

We are looking into a booth at SEMA its a big car show and hopefully source some business ventures. i Wonder if anyone here maybe has a possible need for Ceramic Coating for their company... hmmmm

RoxaneB likes this.
  6. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

It was tried a couple of times. People don't want to pay for an extra service when a significant majority don't get value from their certification and yet they still have to pay.

7. RoxaneB

I’d be curious about the possibilities outside of automotive...other transportation fields, home-based items, maybe even other industries that could your product to help their own processes.

It can be challenging to think outside of established norms.

Having jumped from the steel industry over to community healthcare a few years back, it’s been interesting to watch our company try new things that involve partnerships we never would have thought of before.

Our main “product” is a service. When people are discharged from hospital, but still need care, our nurses, therapists, and personal support workers go into people’s homes. Over the past few years, we’ve expanded into chatbots, programs for caregivers, virtual care, and we’re even looking at building our own long-term care facility.

Yes, that’s all still healthcare, but to develop these programs we’ve partnered up with IT companies, facility mgmt organizations, start-up tech firms, etc.

Somewhat off topic from your original question, but I think it still aligns with where your head is.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    John C. Abnet and tony s like this.
  8. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

If I understand SEMA (and I'm a confessed petrol head), the customers you'll meet are unlikely to know or care about anyone having an ISO certification. Experience shows that a) they are mainly enthusiasts and b) volumes are so low (unless your name is Edelbrock) that consistency of quality is less of an issue. A small bird I've know for many years tells me that the organization they worked for - in the SEMA market - had certification and paid lip service to the QMS...

9. KyleG

KyleG Active Member

We are looking at more than just Automotive items, (I am a car guy so thats what i started with) our coating really has 10000000000000000000 applications both decorative and highly functional. if any of you would like you can Google Cerakote and read about it... possibly give me some ideas on what you think it could be applied to?

10. Ellie

Ellie Member

Kyle, how about sporting goods-type equipment? Golf clubs, bicycles, skateboards, motorcycles?

RoxaneB likes this.
  11. Ellie

Ellie Member

... pool cues?

12. RoxaneB

Note to self...never play pool with Ellie! :D

Seriously, though, I love the sporting goods approach! Skis? Snowboards? Hockey sticks!

Ellie likes this.
  13. RoxaneB

Bicycles. I've upgraded to a 12lb carbon fibre road racing bike and put on some serious km's as I train for my one event in September (170km in one day). I've started thinking about building my own bike - buy a generic frame and then I'd do the customizing. Not sure if there's a market in this area, though. You could talk to your local bike shops and get their thoughts.

Ellie likes this.
  14. KyleG

KyleG Active Member

these are all great ideas, Im actually going to customize my 76 kz900 in cerakote, it has temperature resistance up to 1200 degrees so i can cerakote my exhaust and everything. Gold clubs are a really good thought i will look into. Bikes as well, sprockets, chains, handle bars, and frames.

RoxaneB and Ellie like this.
  15. RoxaneB

Non-automotive may not have the usual heat resistance factors - and if they do, I really admire the skill! *lol* - but that's part of looking into new markets (i.e., tailoring your product to fit).

16. KyleG

KyleG Active Member

17. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Since many petrol storage facilities need anti-corrosion products and services, maybe your product can be used for coating the storage, tanks, pipelines and other underwater/underground steel structures. Your product can be applied also to water tanks?

RoxaneB and KyleG like this.