1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Question regarding the 7 quality principles

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by judegu, Feb 2, 2019.

1. judegu

judegu Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. I got a question which I want to ask you guys` opinions.

In the INTRODUCTION PART of ISO 9001 standard, there are listed 7 quality management principles.
    They are customer focus, leadership, engagement of people, process approach, improvement, evident-based decision making and relationship management.
    I just want to know how these 7 principles are being presented in the ISO 9001 standard.

In my opinion, some of these 7 principles have well-matched corresponding clauses in the standard. Principle customer focus has clause 5.1.2 Customer focus. Principle leadership has clause 5.1 Leadership. And Principle improvement has clause 10 improvment. Whereas principle engagement of people, process approach, evident-based decision making and relationship managemnt don`t have clear well-matched clauses in the standard.
    And among those 4 principles, in my opinion process approach can be presented by clause 4.4 Quality management system and its processes.

Here I am looking forwards to see your ideas on this matter. ;)

2. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Sometimes there is more than once connection. For example, why wouldn't customer focus also touch upon relationship management? So too would interactions with vendors.

Engagement of people - communication, awareness, training, etc.

Decision making - management review, planning, audits even.

I'm not sure what you're attempting to do by pulling this all together, but sometimes there is more than one connection.

judegu likes this.
  3. Suraiya Ramkissoon

Suraiya Ramkissoon Active Member

Hi guys,

My understanding of the 7 principles is basically that these are the pillars upon which the ISO 9001 standard was built.

the iso 9000 standard clause 2.3 explains the statement, rationale, key benefits and possible actions for each principle.

some of the 9001:2015 courses i did had pre-assessment questions where we had to identify the clauses related to each principle, it really helped me in understanding how the principles are "embedded" into the standard.

hope that helped in some way.

Suraiya

judegu likes this.
  4. judegu

judegu Well-Known Member

The reason is that I want to see the connection between these quality principles and the clauses of the standard.
    Personally I always have trouble memorizing the principles and the content of the stardard. I thought if I figured out the connection between them, it would be much helpful.

5. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

I would not recommend to memorize the standard but for the 7 principles, you can use mnemonics:
    C - customer focus
    L - leadership
    E - engagement of people
    P - process approach
    I - improvement
    E - evidence-based decision making
    R - relation ship management​

I attempted to prepare previously a correspondence between the recommended approaches (i.e. possible actions) of ISO 9000 to put into practice the 7 principles and the clauses of the ISO 9001 standard. See the attached file.

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

deepti, Dobis, Siddarth and 1 other person like this.
  6. judegu

judegu Well-Known Member

Hi Tony. Wow, it is a really impressive file. I wouldn`t expect this kind of thing.
    And about the memorizing-the-standard thing, my intention is not to memorize the whole standard completely, word by word.My goal is to understand the standard. Although the standard is quite generic in a way, still it is a good template to build/improve the QMS. It is kind of like a checklist to me. When you are building or improving a QMS, there are all the aspects you need to check. Something like that.

7. deepti

deepti New Member

Thanks Tony, I was looking for this for long time