1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Turtle Diagram acc. to IATF

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Kristof, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Kristof

Kristof Member

Hello everyone,

Currently, I create the Turtle Diagram.

My question is, can You explain me a little bit difference between upstrem and downstrem?

Please find attached Turtle description.

I appreciate your quick response.

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

2. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @Kristof ;
    1- My first question, is why would you/your organization create something if it is not fully understood? An exercise describing your organization's processes, the inputs and outputs of those processes, can be very helpful, however, make sure it is done for the benefit of your organization and, therefore, in a way that it is clearly understood.

2- The example you sent is not a typical "turtle" as originally developed, BUT that is not important. It is important to do in a way that is helpful to you and your organization.

3- In regards to your question, "upstream" and "downstream" are simply terms used to describe the direction of flow (the terms come from the flow of a river). For example, if you were making pizza the processes might look like this...

Buy ingredients --> , Assemble ingredients --> , Bake -->, Cut -->, Deliver

In this example, "assemble ingredients" is UPSTREAM of "bake", "cut", "deliver" and "deliver" is DOWNSTREAM of all other processes.

Hope this helps.

Be well.

3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

One of the distinct shortcoming of the Turtle. Kristof, when you say "I" create the Turtle, you are causing a problem... No-one will own them and you will be forever the zookeeper of the turtles... Did you sign up for this job? You will have to feed them. When they are bad, you will be asked why you didn't do your job as a keeper. Did you want that?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    tony s likes this.