1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

eAuditing......Taking It To The Next Level?

Discussion in 'ISO 19011 - Auditing Management Systems Guidelines' started by GStough, Oct 9, 2015.

Tags:
  1. GStough

GStough Member

I just completed J.P. Russell's online course in eAuditing through ASQ, and am curious to know if anyone else is using this type of audit for supplier, third party or internal audits. If so, how is it working for you and/or your company? Have you any tips for those of us who are looking to add this type of audit to our process/es?

Thanks!

MCW8888 likes this.
  2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

What's eAuditing? :confused:

3. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Are you talking virtual auditing? As in, conducting an audit without going on-site?

If so, yes, I have done these. Screens were shared so that I could see e-records and in cases where it was not available electronically, a copy was emailed to me during the course of the e-audit.

The difficult part is body language - you can't read it, even with a video conference call. I've learned to listen to nuances and changes in tone...gauge pauses (i.e., are they thinking of how to phrase their answer or are they all sharing looks and trying to come up with an excuse?)...and stuff like that.

I do this style, when I'm required to conduct a lot of audits within a short time period. This maximizes my time in preparing and documenting.

I've learned that I do require a bit more prep time just to ensure I'm as familiar with the process as possible.

GStough and Andy Nichols like this.
  4. GStough

GStough Member

Yes, virtual auditing - exactly!

Ok, so this is good information to know, Roxane, thank you! With over 120 "critical" suppliers to evaluate on a regular basis, this is something that we are looking at doing to maximize our resources...and lucky me, I get to be the first one to try it here! :eek:o_O If it goes well, then it may be added to our other locations, as well.

RoxaneB likes this.
  5. RoxaneB

GoTo Meeting and Scopia are what I've used to conduct e-audits. This allows the auditee to share their screen with me and show me their records. The downside is that you don't get a feel for the work environment and culture, and how they impact the organization's processes. It is a great approach to maximize resources and lower costs...but it does rely heavily on documenting your evidence. I find that when I am onsite, my peripheral senses pick things up and support my audit notes. e-auditing can easily become an exercise in "scribing" what the auditee is saying and not really paying attention to the answers or the way they are provided.

Risks include technology failure (i.e., teleconference system goes down, their internal systems go down so they can't share information) and missing communication between the auditees (if there is more than one in the room).

But the potential benefits are huge. Even the time saving possibilities for the auditee are appreciated.

GStough and Andy Nichols like this.
  6. Andy Nichols

I totally agree with my Canadian cousin. I would find it most odd to try to audit without "being there". However, do you HAVE to audit all suppliers? Are all "critical" when it comes to performance? I'd be looking at some kind of 80/20 deal to see who need an "audit"...

rmf180, Josh Hardin and GStough like this.
  7. RoxaneB

It is "odd" but that's really because it's still a fairly unusual way to conduct an audit. QFO'er's, of all people, should know that change can feel a bit odd...at first. It's like putting your watch on the other wrist, or trying to cross your arms in a manner opposite from the norm.

But, in this day and age of global organizations, global infrastructures, and global communication, e-auditing may be an avenue worth exploring for many.

Still, I think if Gidget is doing this as part of a pilot study, there are several ways to approach this.

1. e-audit all suppliers and come back with feedback on the process, results, value, etc.

2. Random 50-50 split with half of the suppliers being subjected to an e-audit and the other half to an on-site assessment. This allows for a current state comparison of the two approaches regarding process, results, value, etc.. Supplier performance would be irrelevant to the determination of which audit method will be used.

3. Use performance criteria to determine the 80-20 split. 80% are meeting criteria that qualifies them for the "easier" e-audit. The remaining 20%, are not meeting the criteria, and are subject to the more "invasive" on-site assessment. Requires some means for determining the 80-20 split. Still allows for feedback on the process, results, value, etc.

You may also wish to include suppliers in providing feedback - especially if they experienced an e-audit. Not only should it add value to your organization, but hopefully to the supplier, as well.

GStough likes this.
  8. treesei

treesei New Member

Off-site, or virtual, or remote, or in a fancier way e-, auditing is not a new concept. With emails, videoteleconf, software that allows screen sharing etc., people have been doing it. Now with new technologies we can do it more efficiently (someday we may evolve and call it "smart auditing" using the hottest buzzword :p). However, I don't think it can completely replace on-site auditing. Like the posters here said, some things/senses/feelings can never be observed or gained sitting at your desk (even on-site). Nothing can replace a walk-thru down the production line to see how things are done or how a record is being filled, or to have a little chat with an operator. e-Auditing will become more and more popular but will always has its limitations. A combination of both e-auditing and onsite auditing is what I would like to do.

GStough likes this.
  9. Andy Nichols

Not that it's a criterion by which to evaluate your use, but the CB accreditation bodies don't really embrace it... It has to be fairly unique circumstances. To me it's like a "long distance relationship"...;):confused::Do_O

Nikki and GStough like this.
  10. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the insight. This may help us OEM suppliers to address the requirement for Supplier Development 7.4.2.1

11. atearth

atearth Member

I work in the UK construction industry and I have a client that loves their auditing. I send a monthly report to the client asking for monthly payments. Few days later they ask for back up information relating to the payments.

Because of the nature of this individual I generally make preparations as and when I do things to
    optimises my future work load. I also overestimate to the client how long something will take to gather the information to give myself some room to play with.

E auditing does save a lot of paperwork however I've found the down side of e auditing is the relationship building that can happen with face to face auditing.

12. MCW8888

I think remote Internal Auditing is now acceptable. I adjusted my Internal Audit procedure to include remote auditing by Skype. Our support process is currently located somewhere in Asia and with the current risk of missiles being tested over there its not justifiable to put us in high risk.

13. atearth

atearth Member

The company I work for are so behind the current tread that they would find it difficult to understand what Skype is.

14. MCW8888

This year due to travel restriction, it was decided that I could not ravel to conduct the on-site visit to our support site Customer Service somewhere in Asia Pacific. So I prepared a SIPOC for them to complete and also added the measurement of effectiveness. We will be doing the e auditing using the Skype and we will share screen shots of some objective evidence that they have documented in their SIPOC. This e auditing will take place soon before the auditor visits the site over there.

15. Neo113016

Neo113016 Member

I totally agree Roxane. Virtual auditing will be the future of Quality Management System.

16. Andy Nichols

I'm not certain that's what Roxane is saying, but I'll let her comment. I cannot (yet) see how sitting in a remote location without a significant investment in technology including augmented reality etc, can effectively replace the auditor being physically present at the site of the audit. So much is going to be lost which goes to making auditing effective.

judegu likes this.
  17. Neo113016

Neo113016 Member

Yes it is true, auditor being physically present at the site is what we have always done to ensure effectiveness of the activity. But considering the opportunity to save time, money and effort and using the right tools to conduct it, virtual audit will be one of the main option.

18. RoxaneB

The current state of technology does not allow for in-depth virtual/remote auditing, however, it can allow for a certain level of assessing, if only to determine the need/value/prioritization of an on-site, in-person visit. The audit requirements and scope can also impact the method of auditing, as can the very nature of the organization (and processes) being audited.

From an external auditor perspective, we are probably not ready to virtual/remote auditing as a serious option for consideration.

Internally, however, I do consider it to be a feasible option that is influenced heavily by multiple variables such as, but not limited to,:

• Auditor experience;
    • Auditee experience;
    • Audit scope;
    • Organizational expectations and requirements;
    • Organizational (and management system) maturity and culture;
    • Organizational size and location;
    • Product(s) produced and/or service(s) provided; and/or,
    • Technology options (i.e., phone lines won't suffice, there needs to be a video option as well as the ability to share screen and effectively provide/show records, documentation, etc.).

Andy Nichols likes this.