1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

8.5.4 Preservation

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Dobis, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Dobis

Dobis Member

Hello all, I am new to this forum and I have learnt a lot here.

I want clarification on Clause 8.5.4 (ISO 9001:2015). The standard states that “organization shall preserve the outputs during production and service provision, to the extent necessary to ensure conformity to requirements. Preservation can include identification, handling, contamination control, packaging, storage, transmission or transportation, and protection”.

Does this clause apply to the preservation of the raw materials (inputs) as well or just the preservation of the organisation’s outputs only.

Thanks

2. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Ap
    Applies to everything, starting when you receive raw material , and how you store it, and throughout all the steps needed to finish and deliver your product.

Neo113016 likes this.
  3. Neo113016

Neo113016 Member

I agree with Qualmx, specifically the output of your Warehouse or Storage Area are preserved and damage free raw materials prior to use in the Production.

4. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Clause 8.5.4 specifies "The organization shall preserve the outputs during production and service provision..." Let's describe the word output. As per 3.7.5 of ISO 9000:2015, output is defined as "result of a process". So if there are various processes during production or service provision, each process must have output/s. For example:
    • Purchasing process output could be "purchased materials that are within the specifications";
    • Incoming inspection process output could be "quality assured inspected materials";
    • Warehousing process output could be "damage free materials" (as posted by Erickson);
    • Preliminary and mid-production processes outputs could be "WIP (work-in-process) parts within specs"; and so on.
    8.5.4 is applicable to the above outputs including the final product or service where both are defined as the "output of an organization..."

jasmin b, Garry Chidgey and Neo113016 like this.