1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Context of organisation

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by NattyG, Mar 15, 2018.

1. NattyG

NattyG Member

So, I'm restructuring and rewriting our QMS. One of the things I'm struggling with is the context of our organisation.

We have a scope but long term we want to be Aerospace certified as well.

I've been told I can't be 'wishy-washy' with our context.

Any ideas on how to make it specific and bespoke to my organisation, enough to satisfy ISO: 9001: 2015

I'm brainstorming currently.

2. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Hi, Natty.

Without knowing your organization or what it does, it would be difficult for us to help out with any of the specifics. There is a "Search" field in the upper right of the screen. If you do a Search for Context, you will find that we have discussed this topic somewhat extensively with other users. Perhaps that will help you out...

3. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

I would think of context of the organization essentially as "business planning." Who are you? What are you? What do you want to be? And how do you get there? With that you'll look at things like interested parties, strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. Then go from there.

NattyG likes this.
  4. NattyG

NattyG Member

Thank you, I'm having a word with a consultant next week but that sums it up perfectly. I just need little nudges like this one. I had a look at the forum already regarding context but it's a lot to sift through.

5. NattyG

NattyG Member

Thank you, I had a look but the reason I posted this thread is that I ended up being more confused than when I started. Lots of quality professionals have different ideas of what is 'right'.

6. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

That's the problem. Eventually "best practices" are developed and adopted throughout industry. And then it becomes "show me XYZ" which you may or may not have. Rather, do your business planning and then look at the standard an see what they are asking for as an output. Make it work for you.

NattyG likes this.
  7. NattyG

NattyG Member

Cheers for your help, unfortunately, I'm still Junior in my career so it will be a case of convincing the big bosses that this is what we need. It's a smaller company, who have never had a quality department before so, I'm experiencing some resistance.

I'm moving towards the management review being the main driving force- to identify our goals. I'm going to leverage KPI's that way and outline objectives.

Wish me Luck!!

MrCarline likes this.
  8. MrCarline

MrCarline Member

Hi @NattyG,
    I am interested to know how you got on with this?

9. Neo113016

Neo113016 Member

If your organization is regularly conducting SWOT analysis, you have no problem with clause 4.1.