1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

7.3 - Awareness about ethical behavior at workplace

Discussion in 'AS 91XX - Aerospace Quality Standards' started by Mustafa Kamal Pasha, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Mustafa Kamal Pasha

Mustafa Kamal Pasha Member

In clause 7.3 of AS9100RevD it is mentioned that awareness should be spread about:

their contribution to product or service conformity;

their contribution to product safety;

the importance of ethical behavior.

I want to make flyers on ethical behavior and spread it across the company. Does anyone have any ideas what to put in them?

Regards,
    Mustafa

2. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @Mustafa Kamal Pasha ;
    A flyer is a fine tool, however, I would ask "how sustainable is a flyer?" If you issue a flyer today, will everyone see it? Will everyone grasp the meaning/intent? How long will the flyer remain? If the flyer is taken down in six months, will the person hired in seven months be made aware? What if you leave the company a year from now....who will communicate and "issue the flyer" then?

Remember, don't do anything for the standard or auditor. Do it for your organization. You and the current leadership (this is not YOUR burden alone), should leave a thumbprint that remains and sustains well after any of you leave the organization.

Instead of a flyer,...
    - what if there is a standardized and formalized curriculum (usually this can be a set of existing instructions/procedures, without the need to create new/duplicated information) for new hire orientation?
    - What if part of this new hire orientation was the awareness content you are describing? (including the importance of ethical behavior).

If this were the case, THEN if you and /or other leadership leave the organization, the management system should still require the orientation curriculum for new hires (WHO - new hires; WHAT - orientation curriculum xyz; WHEN - at time of hiring) and, therefore the required awareness will sustain far into the future.

In regards to your original question "...ideas what to put in them?" I would ask what does your organization WANT to put in them? In other-words, based on your company's mission statement, and/or policies, and/or employee handbook, and/or corporate intent, what ethical behavior is important to the organization? THAT is what should be communicated via the "flyer" (or, standardized curriculum).

Hope this helps.

Be well.

Mustafa Kamal Pasha likes this.
  3. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Make sure you check with your HR people. There are many areas where the ethical requirements of the company may be buried -- employee handbooks, memos, letters, etc. You may be duplicating efforts. Good luck.

Mustafa Kamal Pasha likes this.
  4. Mustafa Kamal Pasha

@John Thankyou for your valuabe input. Indeed you are right in saying that ethical behvior must be incorporated during induction of an employee. However right now we will go with the flyers for audit purpose as there is not much time left. I have attached a sample i prepared.

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

5. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Do people in your workplace know who Warren Buffett is?

6. Mustafa Kamal Pasha

how is that a relevant point at this stage?

7. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

If you are going to quote someone, it's important to know the context - who made the quote. How many of your employees have a clue who Warren Buffett is and why he'd say that?

8. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Gotta' go with @Mustafa Kamal Pasha on this one @Andy Nichols . I see no harm in the quote. It appears @Mustafa Kamal Pasha is simply giving the originator (i.e. Buffett) the due credit while sharing a quote (regardless of who said it), which is very intuitive. I know a lot of people (particularly outside the US), who may not know (or care) who Warren Buffett is, but they would immediately understand the comment/intent/ramifications of that particular quote. I (for one) do not know the context in which this quote was given, but I can certainly understand the meaning and how it can apply to any organization. Just a thought.

9. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Right. Would it make any difference if it was Warren Buffet or Jimmy Buffet? :)

John C. Abnet likes this.