1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

You CAN audit your own work!

Discussion in 'ISO 19011 - Auditing Management Systems Guidelines' started by Andy Nichols, Oct 8, 2015.

1. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Sad but it's very true.

Raffy and Andy Nichols like this.
  2. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

In my organization, we have a team of internal auditors (with one representative for each department). Since each department has a representative, we ensure objectivity by cross-auditing (i.e. auditor will audit other department/s except where he/she is working). The team is headed by the company's Lead Auditor who prepares the audit program and audit schedule, assigns the auditors, monitors the closure of NCs, reports the results of the audit to top management and maintains audit records. When we had the audit of the internal audit process, two member auditors were assigned and audited the Lead Auditor (audit process owner). They were careful not to touch records they themselves prepared (e.g. audit checklists they used and audit reports they issued to other departments).

Now, here's what just happened during our CB's audit. They raised an NC because, according to them, we failed to satisfy the requirement on objectivity and impartiality (9.2.2c). :(

3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

You'll appeal the finding? What was the evidence presented? I'm guessing there was none...

Raffy and tony s like this.
  4. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

This is the kind of BS that give ISO et. al. a bad name. As if you have time to deal with this nonsense. Good luck.

tony s likes this.
  5. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

The CB auditors seem to hit clients with NC on the requirement of objectivity and impartiality (9.2.2c) of auditors. The ISO standard does not explicitly say "auditors cannot audit their own work". I got hit with this finding once while auditing to the new ISO9001 standard. It was a lesson well-learned.

6. Andy Nichols

And I foresee a LOT of IATF clients being given an nc for not having competent trainers... (How DO you tell, as a CB auditor if the trainer was competent? This just fuels the silliness of CBs offering auditor training, like they know any better)

7. MCW8888

It is a good thing that now whenever there is a response to a NC, the client have to verify the effectiveness of responses. At least that is a requirement in the TS16949.

8. Andy Nichols

But the nc has to be fully objective in the first place!

9. MCW8888

Its up to the auditor to discern the objectivity of an internal auditor. From my perspective, this is an easy way to find a nonconformance. My question is this: Why is it not explicitly stated in the new standard that auditor cannot audit their own work?

10. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

My thought would be the impact to small organizations. The organizations where there are only a handful of people who wear multiple hats will more than likely result in people auditing their own work. Perhaps this is not explicitly stated in an effort to make the standard more feasible to small organizations.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Andy Nichols

Because, in micro organizations it's going to be very difficult for everyone not to have been involved in one process or another...

12. hogheavenfarm

hogheavenfarm Well-Known Member

Yes, exactly. While our organization is not micro, it is not very large either. As QM, I often wear many hats including shipping/receiving, purchasing, production work on the line in fabrication, production manager, trainer, material handling, and CAD/design for engineering. Our engineering department does the same. Everyone's job overlaps to a large extent. It is not feasible not to audit your own work in such a case, instead I utilize other methods to ensure my objectivity.

tony s likes this.
  13. Andy Nichols

You cover your eyes when looking at your own work? :D

Ellie likes this.
  14. hogheavenfarm

hogheavenfarm Well-Known Member

On occasion I do get another set of eyes on things, when I can. I tend to be harder on myself than others though, so it seems to work, at least when measured by our outside customer audits. It is hard to avoid your own work when it is everywhere.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  15. MCW8888

If the Internal audit is conducted to improve the system, the process owner. if trained as an internal auditor, will know where he pockets of problems are and highlight them in the internal audit report. I'd rather see a report that highlights a root cause rather than a "witch hunt" for petty nonconformance that does not get into the root cause of the system.

16. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Furthermore, the CB auditor imposes that the internal auditor(s) who is/are assigned to audit the internal audit process must not audit other processes. If so, impartiality is compromised!:eek:

Raffy likes this.
  17. Steven Severt

Steven Severt Member

This just became an issue in our organization. We have three facilities operating independently from one another in our company, and we are doing our 9001:2015 transition certification audits over this week and next week. We just got word back from our facility in Costa Mesa, CA that was audited this week that they had non-conformances regarding their internal auditing process. One thing that was mentioned by the auditor in the finding was that 'auditors shall not audit their own work', but this is no longer a requirement in the 2015 standard. *sigh*

RoxaneB and Andy Nichols like this.
  18. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

I hope the auditor did not write a nonconformity to this obsolete requirement. If he did, he needs to stop - such nonconformitites can be disputed.

19. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

If the auditor raised this issue against clause 9.2, asked him/her "Can you point me the exact statement that we failed to fulfill?" or just a simple "Where is the shall?"

Jennifer Kirley likes this.
  20. Serious Man

Serious Man Active Member

Although it is not a "shall" requirement, rationale for NC is in ISO 19011:2012 Clause 5.4.4 e), then Clause 4 e).