1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Material requirements

Discussion in 'Manufacturing and Related Processes' started by Chris Collings, May 22, 2018.

1. Chris Collings

Chris Collings New Member

Hi all, I have just been walloped with a reject from a customer for using the 'wrong' material. Their drawing states Stainless Steel BS S144. We have supplied S144D which is a part hardened material. The customer has rejected the parts (3rd batch) as they wanted S144H (fully hardened) and are pointing out the clause 3.5 in technical requirements of the standard which states 'Parts shall be supplied in the fully heat treated condition'. I personally think that we have done nothing wrong but believe the customer requirements have not been communicated fully, and will be discussing it with the customer on Thursday when they are here.
    Any thoughts?
    C

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Agreed, however "the customer is always right". They clearly didn't understand, BUT (pulling from my experience in supply chain QA) they would have preferred you clarified with them when quoting, which version of the material spec they really wanted. One thing I've learned is the customer is right, but they don't always know all they need to know.

(we used to put BS 1224 chrome on the drawing and the part was silver steel - you can't chrome silver steel to 1224! The chrome plater never told us that)

Negotiate a part payment, swallow your pride and make certain the quote person learns NOT to take everything at face value...

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Chris Collings likes this.
  3. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like they specified a material which doesn't exist. It should have a D or H classification and it has neither. Not sure what technical standard you're referring to -- is it on their print? What did your quote say -- anything about the D or H material? Any way you can get it hardened without messing it up?

It's certainly their fault for not making the hardness requirement clear. But your fault for not calling them on it. We see a lot of that. It can be problematic. Good luck.