1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Time to get the ball rolling...

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by jamescrockford, Sep 26, 2017.

1. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day all;
    I would offer an additional example. In this case, the "processes" are the actual processes of the organization, which can be argued is a more direct (effective?) approach than simply showing the interrelationship of the individual and somewhat generic standard clauses.

This particular "organization" (example) is in the business of making pizzas (thus the cut, assemble, bake, etc...)

In addition, this "process interrelationship matrix" is actually the audit schedule template. By incorporating into the schedule it prevents the need to maintain separate templates and also ensure that the interrelationship is not simply spoken of, but also acted on.

Hope this helps.

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

2. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

I actually got it from a quality manual referenced in this forum. I think Jennifer Kirley shared this reference.

3. jamescrockford

jamescrockford Active Member

Hi all,

I haven't been on here for a while but wanted to pop back in to provide an update.

We had something called a "readiness review" at the end of November. This was essentially a questionnaire completed by our company explaining our intent as to how to meet ALL of the clauses of ISO9001:2015. We breezed through this and our CB were happy that our intent was on-course and showed a clear understanding.

Yesterday we had a 2008 assessment but this included an assessment of our transition status. We achieved a score of 78% transitioned. The required percentage is 80% so we are very close. I would even go as far as to say that had the assessor had more time, we would have achieved certification to 2015. Regardless, our next assessment is in June 2018 and we will achieve full transition then. I have still have lots of plans in place to improve our QMS between now and June (not necessarily for the purpose of 2015) but as part of the general spring cleaning and re-implementation that transition has allowed us to do.

My reason for updating however was more for the purpose of explaining that a complicated approach is not required for transition. We have used a SWOT analysis for 4.1, simple spreadsheets for interested party needs/expectations, risks/opportunities, and all has been recorded through the management review system. No new procedures have been produced, no new documents. One of the keys has been to have a clear line of sight between mission, vision, strategic plan, quality policy and objectives. This now runs through our QMS. We have kept a quality manual which is only 5 pages long but has what WE want and need, no one else. A more complicated approach may be required for other companies, but for us, a very simple approach to this is working and I believe inspires what actually matters i.e. the thinking about, reviewing and acting upon to be done when complicated approached can put people off.

Thank you to everyone for your help. I will keep you updated.

4. jamescrockford

Hi all,

So...having got our company to the brink of certification to the new standard, I have decided to join a new company where they are yet to start the process!

To cut a long story short, I join the company on 28th Feb and believe that the certificate expiry is 1st August, giving me approx. 5 months! Oh and did I mention that our 2nd child is due to arrive on 20th March? ha ha.

With my current company, we had very few issues prior to transition and so really it was simply a case of adding the new elements which as per my last post, has been done mostly through the management review process. Of course, having been with my current company for over 7 years, I had a thorough understanding of the company and the QMS which helped. In the new company I am going in blind, and will need to get my head around their QMS, ensure that the 2008 requirements are being met if they have lapsed (they haven't had a quality manager for a period of time) before even thinking about bringing in the new requirements.

Any tips from you guys as before would be very much appreciated...I'm not intimated by it and actually feel that there is a lot less involved than people first thought (if you don't overcomplicate things that is) but I'm keen to go in there armed with a game plan...which at the moment will consist of sitting with the MD, starting off with a SWOT analysis and then going from there!

Thanks in advance!

James

Candi1024 likes this.
  5. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

I would say don't go in with any preconceived notions. Make sure you adapt to their way of doing things. You're the new guy and trying to change things to the way you did them at your last company will be a mistake. Good luck.

6. jamescrockford

Agreed - I want to have a balance of seeing what good they have and if there is anything of value that I can add. I certainly won't going in there trying to make their system the same as my current company's one, unless it would add value!
    First plan is to find my way around their current system, then establish where the gaps lie and get cracking! Once transition is achieved, the real development and improvement can begin!

7. Dan B

Dan B New Member

I'm in the EXACT same boat James, but I just started last week so have even less time than you.
    What problems have you come across so far? What I'm calling my "new" QMS (2008) seems to be very well written and for the most part followed by production.
    Like you, trying to have all the bases covered for the unknowns that are sure to come up being audited on a QMS I didn't write, for a company I don't know.

Any help is appreciated
    Thanks

8. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Dan B - I'd suggest your best course of action is to do a comprehensive internal audit, to become familiar with practice vs the QMS. Then, looking at the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 you can make the required changes - which actually aren't going to change what you have THAT significantly...

9. jamescrockford

I agree with Andy. An internal audit of the whole system is the best way forward (and something I plan to do over the next couple of months). This will help me learn the business AND identify areas that require attention for ISO 9001:2015 transition.

The biggest problem I am finding is that not only are there the changes needed for transition but the whole system needs to be improved and I am struggling a little at the moment as to what to prioritize as it is all getting a bit distracting!

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

10. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

I would prioritize any operational issues first. Those directly affect the customer. Then you can take care of the softer "context" type issues. Good luck.