1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Document Control question, test results?

Discussion in 'Documentation Control, Procedures, Templates,...' started by Mark H, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Mark H

Mark H Member

Hey guys, I did a little research, but I couldn't find an answer. I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

I work for a company that remanufactures high voltage batteries for electric cars.

I control all the documents, and post them to SharePoint where we can print them off as needed. I keep a master list on Excel, and file a hard copy of each revision with a document control summary attached.

When we "check in" a used battery pack from a dealership, we do an inspection, and some minor tests that determine the next step.

Today we rolled out a new database, and internal website where all the information is stored (inventory, test results, etc.)

We already have a form that you fill out with all the information of the battery, but now we have it so that when you check the battery in, it prints out all the information that we were hand writing on that form. This form stays with the battery the whole time it is at out facility.

...My question is:

Should we put a control number on the form that prints out?

Putting it on my master list would be no problem, but I wouldn't be able to post it on SharePoint with our other documents, and I wouldn't have a blank hard copy to file.

Would it be considered a test result and not need to be controlled?

Thanks!

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

With modern file naming functionality available on computers today, giving forms a number is no longer necessary. The original reason for this was the limitation of Windows file naming, that's all. Rarely, if ever, do people use form numbers - they tend to use the name of the form or its function. Yes, there are rare exceptions: UB40 is the unemployment benefit form used in the UK - and where the band got it's name. My advice, having tried to use a company's Excel list of form numbers? If you want to make the document control system a PITA, go ahead. Otherwise, use naming conventions, not numbers...

3. Mark H

Mark H Member

I already have a document control system. A very robust one with hundreds of forms, procedures, policies, operating instructions, etc. It works very well. Everybody has access to them, but I am the only person who can edit them.

With my numbering system, I first use letters to identify the department and function, then a number.

For example, the document I am talking about is a form for GM, and the control number is GM-F-0012.

We rolled out our new internal website that is linked to our database. After you check in a battery, it prints out a paper with all the information that was input into the computer. This replaces one of our forms that we were hand writing the information on.

I can't change the "form", or "test results" (whatever you wanna call it) that is generated by our database, I also can't post it on SharePoint, or file a blank copy with a document control summary.

My document control procedure states that I do these things, so that makes it a non-conformity.

...unless of course I don't have to control it. That is my question.

Do I have to control a form that is generated by the database?

If so, I can have the engineer who made the database put a control number on it, that's no problem. I can also change the document control procedure so I don't have a non-conformity.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  4. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

I'm a bit confused here, so please, bear with me...

1. A form is a blank document...a template, if you will...that is what is controlled under typical document control protocols (e.g., revisions, access, owners, approvers, etc.)
    2. Once that form is completed or filled in, it is now a record (no longer a form) and falls under record control protocols (e.g., storage, retention time, disposition/disposal, etc.)
    3. "Test Results" implies a completed form (i.e., now a record).

So, my confusion stems from being unclear what you are asking about. Is it the form (i.e., blank document) or the record (i.e., completed form) that you're asking about?

To Andy's point, however, what I believe he was trying to get as was you don't need a control/revision number on it presuming there is some date that indicates when the test results were recorded, allowing you to determine what version of the form you were using (it's a bit of a cross-matching exercise).

5. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Your form generated by the database is controlled by the database itself. You need to change your document control procedure to allow for data base forms.

6. Mark H

Mark H Member

RoxaneB, Ah, ok. That makes a lot of sense.

I have never thought about a form and a record not being the same thing. When it's blank, it's a form. Once you put information on it, it's a record.

The paper that prints out when we check in a battery would be a record of checking the battery into our system, but it was never a form.

Instead we have a digital form on our internal website that we fill out, and it prints the record.

The record that prints out does have the date and time automatically printed on it, so no need for a control number.

Golfman25, Will Do!

Thanks for all the advise guys! It helps a lot. I am glad I found this forum!
    :):):)

Neo113016 and Atul Khandekar like this.