1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Do we need to have the word SHALL in our QMS as it is in ISO 13485 ?

Discussion in 'ISO 13485 and ISO 14969 – Medical Devices QMS' started by Rachel, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Rachel

Rachel Member

I have a question In ISO 13485 I know the word SHALL is in there. In our company QMS do we need to have the word SHALL written as it is in the ISO standard or just verbiage that would insist it being done?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2015
  2. Ganesh Sundaresan

Ganesh Sundaresan Active Member

Unless otherwise I am seriously wrong with my presumption towards ISO 13485, there is no requirement for the word "SHALL" to be used in Procedures as it exists in the Standard. Please prepare Procedures that are required by your Organization in a simple language that are easily, commonly and unmistakably understood by all users.

Rachel and Somashekar like this.
  3. Gert Sørensen

Gert Sørensen Member

In ISO 13485 and - I believe - all other regulatory systems the word Shall implies a mandatory activity. What verbiage you use in your own QMS is entirely up to you, but the paragraphs with a Shall must be fulfilled by your system.

In line with Ganesh' comment, don't use high level words in your procedures etc. Write for the benefit of the reader, not for the auditor.

BradM and Somashekar like this.
  4. Jim Hagenbaugh

Jim Hagenbaugh Member

I agree with the others in that there is no requirement on having "Shall" in your documentation and that your docs need to be written for the user, not the auditor.

Don't turn you back on the word however. I have found it useful to reign in various groups that are smart enough to know it means its required, and if it doesn't show up in their SOP's means it a suggestion and not a requirement. Personally I use it sparingly, except in the Quality Manual, but I use it.

Rachel and BradM like this.
  5. BradM

BradM Moderator Staff Member

I don't think you must use the word "shall". I do think you need to clearly specify the actions needed in the procedures to satisfy the requirements of the "shall" statement in the standard.

6. Rachel

Rachel Member

Thank you all who have responded and cleared things up for me .