1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

FAI Concern-Query, Single vs. Multiple Pcs.

Discussion in 'AS 91XX - Aerospace Quality Standards' started by Philip Yorgey, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Philip Yorgey

Philip Yorgey New Member

I'm looking for guidance on modifying or submitting an FAI for a existing aerospace process. The initial FAI was submitted and approved using a process with equipment that handled 1 pc./cycle. The equipment is capable of 3 pcs. / cycle but due to the infancy of the technology we started production with 1 pc.

We have reached the point of processing 3 pcs./cycle. The only change in the process is quantity - same equipment, materials, operator, specs, etc. etc.

Is a delta FAI required? If yes, how will this be reflected in the AS9102 documentation?

Thanks

2. Atul Khandekar

Atul Khandekar Administrator Staff Member

Can someone help Philip with this question?
    Thanks.

3. Jim Gardner

Jim Gardner Member

In my opinion a delta FAIR would not be required. You have proved your process to be effective via a FAI.
    The only problem I can envisage is that you don't trust the equipment to repeat the process.
    What will you do if your next order requires a batch of 30 pieces? Another delta FAIR?
    In addition, when you start processing 3 pieces/cycle, I am sure you will carry out an inspection on all 3 pieces at which stage any
    equipment anomalies would surface.

Hope this helps

Atul Khandekar likes this.
  4. Philip Yorgey

Philip Yorgey New Member

Jim, thanks for the reply. I agree that we'd carry out a full inspection internally when this process moves to 3/cycle. Appreciate your input.

5. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

For clarity (and for those who read 'old' threads) can you elaborate what you mean by 1 part per cycle and 3 parts per cycle? What is a 'cycle' to you?

6. Philip Yorgey

Philip Yorgey New Member

The system I'm referring to is an Electro-Chemical Machining (ECM) cycle where the material is loaded, chamber closed and the ECM process commences using the defined process parameters. We are performing a FAI on the 3/cycle results in support of the customer's wishes.
    Part of my question was in regards to using the AS9102 forms in cases such as this. Single component or assembly FAI's are fine, I just haven't had experience with processes that yield multiple articles in the same process cycle.

7. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

ah. In this case I would apply the FAI requirement as material load is always a factor in chemical 'bath' processes. You may have plenty of margin for multiple parts in your process, but not everyone does and so the FAI is the verification that your process did in fact handle 3 parts instead of just one.

I agree that the form (as I remember it) doesn't directly support this scenario. Your supplier Quality rep may have ideas on this or you could just submit 3 forms? its' been awhile since I've used these forms so I cant' remember their exact layout...