1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

AS9102 Characteristic Accountability of Specification Requirements

Discussion in 'AS 91XX - Aerospace Quality Standards' started by Christopher Braun, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Christopher Braun

Christopher Braun New Member

I am looking for a best practice for accountable characteristics buried within specifications. In the past, I have always stuck to "conforms to requirements" in response to print notes where specifications are called out, but a colleague pointed out to me that AS9102 requires variable data for all characteristics specifying variable requirements.
    To complicate further, my organization is implementing InspectionXpert for FAI and inprocess inspection plans. Specification requirements are outside of the documented print requirements (sort of) which makes it difficult to include them in a ballooned drawing.

2. TenaciousQ

TenaciousQ New Member

It really is a matter of how in-depth the customer wants to take it. Your statement about variable data in regard to AS9102 is correct. But I've found that non compliance is rampant across the industry based on the customer not pushing for it. They either don't know or like you and I have been stating "conforms" for years and feel that is sufficient. That truly isn't meeting the FAI requirement. My opinion is that you will get away with what the customer allows for now but in time "spec breakouts" with full variable data results will be the norm. As soon as audits begin to reveal how lax everyone has been about it the requirement will be more rigid.

As far as Xpert goes I don't see why it wont work as long as you have a spec library that can function as PDF. Balloon the spec on the print...then sub set balloons for the variable data within the spec. Then continue the normal ballooning sequence back to the drawing.

I know from personal experience it is our vendors that we have the most trouble with. In order to capture the variable data from these operations we must first make sure we are flowing down what is actually required on in bound conformance documentation from them. Basically everything with a number value from the spec needs to be accounted for. Vendors, especially smaller vendors are not used to that level of oversight. Do yourself a favor and get your vendors on board so that you will have this variable data ready for the FAI.

-TQ