1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

New Quality Manager looking for advice and support!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Colin Pitman, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Colin Pitman

Colin Pitman Member

Received the book this morning - wow, it's like a breath of fresh air. Thank you for the recommendation!

Jennifer Kirley likes this.
  2. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

We just completed the upgrade to ISO9001:2015 audit by the external auditor. There were no nonconformance. I used Craig Cohran's book as guideline for the implementation. The highlight of positive comments was the linkage of section 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4 and 6.1 2 (Risk analysis). Thank you to all the forum moderators for the wealth of information that you shared with us.

3. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

I'm so happy to hear this! :D Congratulations to MCW888! and my best wishes to Colin.

MCW8888 likes this.
  4. Mike wizowski

Mike wizowski New Member

hey there. Yea let me tell you i hear you on that o_O

but let me tell you (and i assume you're a younger person than myself) but you're already on the right track. If they put you in that position they obviously feel you have some relevant skill set. But coming onto hear and what you're doing, building your knowledge base is going to let you move in the position

Colin Pitman likes this.
  5. Mike wizowski

Mike wizowski New Member

btw most people in positions didn't start out as completely qualified. The idea would be that you grow into it. And don't let them give you crap about doing that. Congrats on the new move

6. MCW8888

Jennifer,
    Thank you for the resources that you provided for us. I also shared that with the auditors.

7. MCW8888

Please do not forget to give an awareness training to all your employees. There should be sign in sheet to show that they understand the changes to the ISO9000 standards.

8. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

While I agree with training and communication, a sign-in sheet accomplishes little other than to say a person was there. It doesn't mean they understand what was said...even if the sign-in sheet says "I, the undersigned, do hereby agree to and understand all of this ISO stuff." ;)

The everyday employee probably doesn't really care about the changes to the standard, either. We want to know what's in it for us, so unless the change directly impacts how I do my job, I probably don't need to know about it.

9. Colin Pitman

Colin Pitman Member

Thanks for the words of encouragement Mike. It was daunting at first, but it was my passion for being procedure-driven that got me the job, and here I am discovering that surprise surprise 9001 is all about procedures, more so now than ever. I'm finding it an interesting challenge, but lots of reading, researching, and meeting like-minded people such as those on this forum have really greased the rails for me.

I think the halfway mark is getting employees to at least have some level of engagement, especially where they can tell you what they think as one of your main interested parties. I certainly plan to involve not only the top management, but also the everyday employees. I want to make it fun and get them in a series of small groups where I'll get them to do all the talking by asking them questions (eg. "What is quality?") that result in a group debate. In this way I'll guide them over the points of 9001 that apply to them, and at the same time I'll also get useful feedback on our organisation's SWOTs.

Or that's the plan anyway... o_O

10. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Employees DON'T need to know anything about ISO 901:2015 and the changes. That's a complete waste of time, IMHO. Training is given to people who need to be competent. Employees don't have to be competent in ISO 9001.

11. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

I'll second Andy. As soon as you get employee's "involved" in ISO 9001 things will go downhill very quick. The goal should be to strip "ISO" from everything until the auditor shows up. Nothing should be done because of "ISO." Do it because it makes sense as a good business practice. I wouldn't even get into the "what is quality" debate. You have two questions. Are we meeting our customer expectations so that we can continue in business and grow? And are we making a profit doing so? The rest is all noise.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  12. MCW8888

The awareness training was not an in depth training of ISO9001:2015. The training was embedded in one of the daily stand up meetings updating them on their policies objectives tactical strategies and the reiteration of effectiveness of implementation of their SOP's. The operators never understood the difference between the old and new ISO anyway. In our case it worked because we were able to provide objective evidence when the auditor asked questions around awareness. Thank you.

13. MCW8888

Employees need to know WIIFT (What's in it for them) and coach them how to answer an auditor along the lines of effectiveness of work instructions.

14. Andy Nichols

I was responding to this statement, MCW8888. I'm happy to hear it's awareness of SOPs and policies etc. ONLY.

MCW8888 likes this.
  15. MCW8888

I agree Roxanne. This is to show objective evidence during an external audit. After all the new standard is evidence based to show that the support systems are working.

16. MCW8888

Just a few hours ago another manufacturing facility has successfully completed the upgrade from ISO9001:2008 to ISO9001:2015 with ZERO nonconformance. The team worked hard to make things happen and Top management was 100% involved.

17. Andy Nichols

At the recent conference of the IATF, they shared the major and minor NC categories issued against the companies upgrading to IATF 16949. It was telling that there were ZERO NCs issued against the new/additional requirements based on ISO 9001:2015. Furthermore, the IATF spokesman from Ford MC - when asked about why the OEMs continue to audit suppliers, it was stated that the CB NC data doesn't validate the industry perspectives - failing products, recalls etc.

My recent experience also bears this out. Organizations struggle with how the CotO (section 4) links to the Planning (section 6) etc. Many, many questions are being raised here and at the Cove about these clauses. So why is it no audit findings are issued?

18. Andy Nichols

I'd point out that this has been true since the 2000 version of ISO 9001...

RoxaneB likes this.
  19. MCW8888

The secret is following the book ISO9001:2015 in plain English. We linked the CotO to Risk and Opportunities. As a matter of fact there were some nice comments about it.

20. Andy Nichols

I've heard similar comments, but frankly, I take them with a pinch of salt. Most current CB auditors have little practical experience of implementation (even as consultants) IMHO...