1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Certificate of Conformity

Discussion in 'Manufacturing and Related Processes' started by Colin Pitman, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Colin Pitman

Colin Pitman Member

Every single shipment we send gets a carbon-copy dispatch note with our heading etc. that the customer signs to say they have received the goods. A copy goes to them and we retain the other copy. There is a box on the dispatch note with a paragraph explaining that it also acts as a C of C, and it is signed by the Quality Manager.

However since the dispatch note is pre-printed by a stationary supplier, and we have boxes of them to use up before we order more, and the signature is that of the QM who has recently left, do I, as new QM, have to ensure that it is my signature there ASAP, or can we use up our stockpile first?

I'm not bothered about the stock - I'd send the entire lot for recycling in a heartbeat if necessary and order new ones with my signature. It's more a question of my priorities. Is it a requirement anywhere? If not, then I can put it on the back-burner for now as I have bigger fish to fry.

2. hogheavenfarm

hogheavenfarm Well-Known Member

I had the same issue, I went to a rubberstamp website and had a stamp made that is my CQI # and signature and just stamp all the outgoing papers. I use it for in process inspections also, and wherever else it may save some time.
    It is not unusual for a CoC to be printed on the invoice or shipping ticket, although many of our customers will not allow us to do that, they insist on a separate document detailing reference to their PO and associated documents along with print data and revision level. They also require a hand signed signature with each CoC. Much depends on what different customers will accept.

3. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Personally...and ethically...and morally...I'd change the signature. Flip the situation a bit - How would you feel if product was being shipped with YOUR name signing off on it even though you were no longer with the organization? And what if there was some catastrophe associated with the product? YOUR name is on that piece of paper and while it will eventually come out that you were no longer with organization, that would not be the first thing people hear or see.

As to the oranization, as well, if something were to happen to/with the product and it was discovered that a non-employee's signature was on the CoC, there could be a potential legal risk here...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Miner likes this.
  4. Colin Pitman

Colin Pitman Member

Guess you're right there!