1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Dual Certified QMS (ISO 9001 & AS 9100D)

Discussion in 'AS 91XX - Aerospace Quality Standards' started by Duncan Winn, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Duncan Winn

Duncan Winn New Member

Hi,
    I work for a sub-contract engineering company who is ISO 9001:2008 certified (Transition to 2015 booked for April 2018) but are looking to gain AS 9100D certification.
    The Aerospace certification is only to satisfy a small percentage of our customers, the others are happy with 9001.
    As you get ISO 9001:2015 certification by default when you gain AS 9100D certification, can you run a dual level QMS where only the aerospace customers envoke the full AS 9100 system and all other customers orders are processed under an ISO 9001 system (i.e. not requiring all the heavy weight control plans, ITP's, FMEA's etc...). Or would we have to gain totally separate certification for each system and cature the different customer requirements in the scopes of the two different certifications?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Duncan: I'd ask your CB technical people at HQ. The rules for AS9100 CBs are numerous and complex. Your CB should be able to answer better than anyone else, perhaps.

3. Duncan Winn

Duncan Winn New Member

Hi Andy,
    I've already contacted my CB who advised separate certification for each standard. As they stand to gain from this (double the number of audits / visits required), the cynical side of me questions if this advice may be our only option or if an alternative solution is possible.
    If this is the only way to do this, then so be it, it would be remiss of me not to question this though.

4. Andy Nichols

OK, then I'd suggest changing CBs. I worked for a top 5 (UK based) CB and it should be possible to apply ISO 9001 requirements for one scope and add the various 9100D requirements for a separate scope. Same audit. The number of days may be inflated to cover 9100D, and you'll pay a premium day rate for your auditor, but it should be possible. If you haven't committed to the AS9100D, then I'd suggest contacting another CB, leading with this question.

5. Duncan Winn

Duncan Winn New Member

I'll certainly do that. Who would you recommend?

6. Andy Nichols

Take a look at the IAF website (or UKAS, I can't recall) and look to see who has been suspended (for any standard). That tells you a lot....

7. Sundance

Sundance Member

I'm dealing with the same thing right now. I'm transitioning from ISO 9001:2015 to AS9100D. I'd been working with not one but two sister organizations under our corporate umbrella who were already AS9100D certified and I got the same story from both of them which was they run parallel systems whereby aerospace goods are subject to AS9100D requirements and commercial product is subject to ISO 9001:2015 requirements. Their two different CB's (unlike mine) do not require them to maintain two separate certifications. My CB is clearly saying that I would need to do separate audits as well. I'm going to try to gather as much supporting information as I can before stating my case with them but going with an alternate CB is definitely on the table.

8. john brainard

john brainard New Member

I agree! We have been out sourcing our calibration and were dinged in an audit because they were not 17025 certified. I am sure there is more to come

John

9. john brainard

john brainard New Member

We are Dual certified and are not required to deal with dual audits. If you meet the AS9100 requirements then you have exceeded the ISO 9001-2015 requirements.

John

Shane O likes this.