1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Auditing Complaint Handling Process at Supplier Site

Discussion in 'Documentation Control, Procedures, Templates,...' started by Crombes, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Crombes

Crombes Member

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone has a "good document" for auditing complaint handling at supplier site
    for my job I have to go to China and see how our Chinese QE take care of the complaints
    I could go with a 8d report , but maybe i would misout some points.

does anyone has an template or ever done this before any tips hints are welcome

thx

2. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Presuming that they already handle complaints, why not see what they're currently using and then determine if it is adequate. As the old saying goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

If you're attempting to standardize the complaint handling process, then you could go with something your organization/site already uses...at the same time, seize the opportunity for reverse synergies. If China has employed a more effective system, why not bring that back to your organization/site?

Crombes likes this.
  3. Crombes

Crombes Member

Hi Roxane

they do handle complaints although not adequately and make mistakes ( don't we all) , forget things , do not ask preventive actions , follow up etc ... also the action reports are one big struggle to read :p , thus I was looking for a "audit" document to make sure they don't skip any points in the 8d approach (pdca)

4. Sidney Vianna

Sidney Vianna Well-Known Member

There is no point auditing a complaint handling process if the organization responsible for managing the complaints has not developed and implemented the process in the first place. ISO 10002 is an EXCELLENT guidance document on Complaint Handling. A few years ago, I was part of a team that developed a quantified rating/assessment for Customer Satisfaction Management, which also included the Complaint Handling aspect.

After the organization has implemented the complaint handling process, then it makes sense to perform an audit. Any checklist should take into account the requirements that are part of their processes. Trying to audit their complaint handling system without their buy-in concerning the criteria for the audit tends to lead to confrontation and opinion-based findings.

RoxaneB likes this.
  5. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Further to Sidney's point, I would say that the aspect of "do not ask preventive actions" is not always necessary. If the number of complaints is large, I would suggest narrowing down the type of complain trigger (size, $$$, major customer, etc.) that could then elicit further actions. To be honest, I look at preventive action as more of higher level activity - data analysis can indicate areas where additional actions may be required.

When there is a nonconformance, some may be more suitable to a correction (e.g., refund, additional shipment, etc.) than a corrective action (root cause analysis and action plan). By understanding the nature of the complaints, it may be possible to determine the triggers, thus helping the team know which Complaint Handling approach to take. This activity of trigger determination could be a preventive action taken as a way to regain a better awareness of the nature of the complaints and trigger reviews should be an annual activity.

If the intent of your visit is to move them from their current process of handling complaints to a new one, I would suggest you frame it up as 'gap analysis', including the recognition of their strengths (and not just the gaps).

Another approach to consider - especially if you wish to engage them - is to simply ask them what they do and map it out. Then, by bringing in their own people, you could turn this into a value stream mapping exercise or a quick Kaizen event to identify low-cost/low-tech solutions to improve the process.

Sidney Vianna likes this.