1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

new member and a question

Discussion in 'Gage Calibration and Uncertainty' started by uberschall, Aug 11, 2016.

1. uberschall

uberschall New Member

Hi folks, I'm new here and look forward to talking about quality and I am hoping to help out and meet like minded people.

i have a question regarding gage pin and gage block segregation and am not sure what forum to post it in. the question is: our machine shop basically takes all of qa's pins and blocks out to the shop and has savaged them. cabinets, locks, and brow-beatings do nothing. their manager just gives out keys to everybody. i'm going to buy new everything and let them have the old ones. the company culture is extremely frustrating.

my thinking is that i'll label these gages "not in calibration system" or "reference only". we are not regulated in any way, shape or form, but the owners have hired a consultant to bring us into ISO and at some point i'm going to have to start on the qms. thoughts?

please let me know what you think or where to post this question in a more correct forum.

thanks!

2. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

"Reference only" sounds like it will work. Just make sure they aren't using them for product approval.

3. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

Agree with Golfman. And, sorry to say the consultant that management hires to come in and somehow know more than you may actually be empowered to bring change in behavior. I am sorry to say that, but it could happen. It would probably take time to stick though.

4. normzone

normzone Well-Known Member

[uberschall], what you describe is par for the course, no surprises there. Be prepared to lose/replace the most commonly used sizes out of your new pin set periodically anyway.

Label the set as "not in calibration system, verify with a calibrated micrometer before use"

Given how easy it is to put a couple back in place in the wrong spots transposed, that's good practice anyway.

5. hogheavenfarm

hogheavenfarm Well-Known Member

Wow! you work here too! Another new face -glad to meet you.
    Yes - my pins are ref only - all final checks are done here using mostly different checking equipment if possible. Other things tend to 'appear' on the shop floor if you are not very vigilant!
    Some of my items like this are also labeled "calibrate before use".

6. uberschall

uberschall New Member

thanks, i was thinking the same. used to do this in aero/def.

7. uberschall

uberschall New Member

thanks for the reply. so far he's nice and knowledgeable. if upper management allows it, it could work. our company is sooo dysfunctional...

8. uberschall

uberschall New Member

good idea. this could work with pins and blocks because of the room on their cases. am also going to start with employee owned stuff in a bit which is going to be more challenging. "ref only" might be the only sized sticker i can put on the smaller things.