1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Average Costs and Time to Implement 14001?

Discussion in 'ISO 14001:2015 - Environmental Management Systems' started by Qua1ityNoob, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Qua1ityNoob

Qua1ityNoob Member

We are a contract mfg of cables, harnesses, and electromechanical assemblies. We have approx. 120 employees and are currently certified to ISO 9001 and 13485.

What have been your experiences with cost and the amount of time taken to implement 14001? I already have quote requests out to registrars. Just wondering if it's possible to get a very rough idea before they get back to me.

Thanks in advance! :)

2. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

While size and scope are variables to consider, the biggest one is management commitment. Is this going to be a priority? If not, the time could be longer than desired.

The good part is that you have ISO 9001 an 13485. Presuming you use existing processes such as document control, record control, management review, corrective action, etc., you already have a lot of items addressed.

Have you done a gap analysis to help determine where to focus? This could help identify your timeline.

But you also should consider leaving time to collect evidence/results of conformance to the standard.

I don't know your organization or if you'll be using the existing processes, but I like to start with one year, which includes 4-5 months for data collection and adjustments.

3. Qua1ityNoob

Qua1ityNoob Member

Thank you, Roxane!

4. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

We used this project plan during our certification to ISO 14001:2004. I believe there's not much difference for the 2015 version. You can use this as reference.

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

Atul Khandekar likes this.
  5. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

This isn't quite the same as the post headline question. Are you asking for the cost to be certified to ISO 14001? That's NOT the same as implementation time/cost.

Why are you asking for quotes to any registrar other than the one you already use for ISO 9001 & 13485? That will (potentially) cost you more. The duration of the audit should be the same for all CBs (IAF.nu - find MD-5 document) and the day rate for an auditor will be around $US1300. After that, unless you are unhappy with your current CB, you are opening yourself up to (costly) issues. You know you could have the audits done by the same auditor...