1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Ravi's Blogs Measurement and Sampling Errors

Errors in Quality assessment and their impact

1. Ravi Khare

Ravi Khare Member

Ravi Khare submitted a new resource:

Measurement and Sampling Errors - Errors in Quality assessment and their impact

Read more about this resource...

2. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

According to this AIAG blue book section F9 MSA studies are not required where standardized tests are used, however it is still important for the organization to understand the measurement component of variation.

We are TIER 1 supplier to the OEMs. We supply bulk fluids and often we do 100% inspection of incoming, in-process and final product. During the TS audits we struggle to convince the auditor that our MSA is based on the round robin samples analyzed by 100 participating laboratories. Our performance is based on the Z scores. The precision is traceable to ASTM R & R. Is our method adequate or there is a better one? Thank you.

3. Ravi Khare

Ravi Khare Member

Honestly, I don't know the answer to your question.

Adequacy in my opinion is a threshold perspective. It will be based on whether your customer feels confident about the quality you will supply, given the measurement characterization method you follow.

More thoughts on this from forum contributors here will help us learn about better methods that may exist.

4. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

MC8888: I'm not sure how your method works...can you describe the round robin testing and how the 'Z score' works?

5. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

Multiple samples of different product family are dispatched as “blind samples to multiple laboratories around the world. It is tested by different operators multiple times. Evaluation of results is based on z-score concept (ISO/REMCO N263). The participants try to be within the +/- 2Z to score a 100%. Any score outside that band in a bell curve needs to be investigated and corrected using the corrective action method. I read an article by Wheeler (I got it from Elsmar Cove that is similar to this method. This is documented clearly in our lab scope for the auditors to understand.

6. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

What is the title of the article by Wheeler? This approach jsut doesn't sound right - yet.

7. Marc Smith

Marc Smith Active Member