1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Clause 6.2.2: Training for Accounting Department?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2008 - Quality Management Systems' started by Bill Miller, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Bill Miller

Bill Miller Member

As I read 6.2.2 Comp, Awareness and Training..
    A) Determine the necessary competence for personnel for work affecting conformity to product requirements...

Question: Do I need to train my Accounting Department as to the tenants of ISO like I do the rest of the company?o_O

2. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Does your Accounting team have anything to do with your ability to meet requirements? Proper billing/invoicing perhaps? On-time payment to suppliers so that you have raw materials with which to have some ability to meet requirements?

Many people on here will probably say 'no' to your question. I counter with 'why not?'

ISO is more than just a series of black-and-white requirements for your organization to check off as done (or not done). It can be integrated into an organizational culture of excellence - if the organization wants something more than a piece of paper on the wall.

drgnrider and normzone like this.
  3. normzone

normzone Well-Known Member

My first filter for that kind of question is " does it affect the product or the customer " ? When a supplier holds shipment because you're behind on payment, and that causes you to miss a delivery date, I think the line has been crossed. Whether or not that merits long term involvement in the Finance function is debatable, but it would justify a one-time incursion (careful wording choice) at least.

Finance at a previous lifetime did not like me (personal issue on her part), but I went there once when it became apparent that tracking a large volume of nonconforming material flow to-and-from a key supplier was not effective, and was affecting inventory levels and ability to meet schedule.

Bill Miller likes this.
  4. Bill Miller

Bill Miller Member

I have the same situation here. Kind of a pay me now or pay me later type of thing.

Looks like I am training Accounting to ISO.

Thanks all!

5. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Do you want them to be competent in the tenants of the ISO? In fact does anyone (other than yourself and some others (in management) require to be competent in "ISO"? And if the answer to these is "Yes", how did you determine that the general population needs to be competent...?

6. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

And what are you seeking to accomplish through this? What is the training objective? How will you know the training has been accomplished in an effective manner?