1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Upgrade to iso 9001:2015 from iso9001:2008

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2008 - Quality Management Systems' started by Sapna Sharma, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Sapna Sharma

Sapna Sharma New Member

I Own a ISO 9001:2008 Company and want to upgrade it from 9001:2008 to 9001:2015. I need to do internal audit for it. I want to know how can i upgrade my iso certification and what new modules had been added into it. And how can i manage these new added modules

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Welcome! Do you have a copy of the 2015 revision? That's the first place to start - so that you can become familiar with the differences. There are also resources at the ISO website for you to use. For example: http://www.iso.org/iso/iso9001implementation_guidance.pdf

I would not start with an internal audit, because you'd have to have internal auditors who were competent in ISO 9001:2015! That's NOT likely to be the case. You have to upgrade your QMS before you upgrade your certification. You should also ask your CB for any information they might have. If they haven't got any, you should consider changing to one who can help, NOW.

I'm not sure about your terminology "modules" You don't add "modules". You should look at your existing QMS, understand your interested parties and context and work from there.

Come back if you have more, specific questions.

Marc Smith and Atul Khandekar like this.
  3. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

I agree with obtaining a copy of the new standard and having the team become familiar with it. Could the internal auditors be used to do a gap analysis instead of an internal audit? I suppose leadership could also do this analysis, but it's usually nice to have more than one possible solution.

Claes Gefvenberg likes this.
  4. Andy Nichols

The first place to start is with discussion of the changes, at a "management review"...

5. Padym

Padym Active Member

My suggestion

1. undergo some certification, upgrade course
    2. Buy standard copy
    3. Do initial gap analysis - (apply knowledge learned from the course to identify areas to work upon )
    4. Prepare a presentation for Management Team - should cover, high-level revised changes in ISO 9001:2015, your Gap analysis report, project plan, resources, training requirements, software, cost, etc.
    5. once you get management buy-in then form a project committee (it should include all key managerial level representative from each function applicable to your QMS, including time from management team).
    6. Prepare a detailed WBS project plan and distribute responsibilities (weekly progress meeting )
    7. Conduct Awareness workshops for all teams (Actually the content shouldn't look like requirements / Audit checklist) participants should feel that some new thing will change and benefit them. Example Risk-based thinking - most audience will set if you start with terms like Risk matrices, stages identification, evaluation etc..instead just them examples from their current practices (which I'm sure they do must be performing of this sort in most of the cases)
    8. take 1 process at a time and fix all the gaps, check, review and maintain and so on.
    9. give at least 2-3 months time gap for all functions to working by themselves. Note: the functional owners who represented during the project should be monitoring this and drive this period.
    10. Prepare formal Internal Audit Program covering all elements.
    11. Fix all findings from the Audit and then apply to CB for the certification audit.

Then time to party if you pass through certification audit.

Alpine, tony s and Atul Khandekar like this.
  6. Sapna Sharma

Sapna Sharma New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. requires a Self ISO Management Software

7. Andy Nichols

I'm not sure what you mean, but if you got the impression software is the answer, then that's an incorrect one. A poster was trying to sell a software solution and, in fact, their technical understanding of the ISO 9001:2015 requirements was fundamentally flawed and incorrect.

The other posts before gave good advice.

8. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

I hope your company was not certified to ISO 9001:2008 because of a software package. Software packages can be useful but lacks creativity.

9. wessex

wessex Member

You can do it for free - dont buy any software ! Use the ISO website - they have free guides - No need to buy the standard - your original system can be aligned to fit the new standard ! why are you going to spend out sums of money - be VFM dont spend .. take your time for transition if you dont need to get it now then you have quite a long time line to get it updated and agreed.

10. Andy Nichols

How will the OP know what's IN ISO 9001:2015 without obtaining a copy?

11. wessex

wessex Member

Andy easy there is so much on the web, there is no way I would pay that amount for any ISO, these publications are such over priced.... I have achieved them all and re-certs without buying any books etc.... say no more !!!

12. Andy Nichols

And this is accurate information? I'd suggest significant caution about simply using the web as a source of what's in the standard. Lots of people think they know what's in there - one of the reasons why I wrote my book about the "myths" of ISO 9001.
    This "saving" you propose, could be very costly...

13. hogheavenfarm

hogheavenfarm Well-Known Member

Many of the matrices and gap analysis are available on the CB and consulting sites, so there is an ample supply of information, Google any clause and you can get the actual text. The content (clause number and description) is usually given on the standards sites themselves. It takes a bit of research, but I do not own the 2015 standard yet I have all the contents printed out just from references to them. Forums and blogs like this fill in missing information as well. This , of course does not answer the age old question of whether you HAVE to have a copy of the standard available - just that it is not really necessary to purchase it to get the information from trusted sources.

wessex likes this.
  14. Andy Nichols

A key component - but frankly, why "save" a relatively small amount of money? Much of the documentation you mention do not repeat the complete texts, so there's still going to be "filling in". And, frankly, if an organization can't afford the price of a standard, then I'd doubt they are serious about implementation!

15. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

I bought a copy here in the Philippines, in our Bureau of Product Standards library, for 400 pesos (roughly US$ 8.6). The cost is not so much for the value that you will get from it.

16. wessex

wessex Member

Andy why would I want to buy your book?

as per the the website that disappeared it was a quality gurus dream... a few are on this site, but others are already posting here and other sites! why pay - i offer value for money no charge !! its out there for free, adapt for what you need. doesnt just go for quality, remember its not mandatory/compulsory to have 9001 or a quality management system. havent met an auditor yet who has had more experience or knowledge... say no more ! chill, I wont be buying your book anytime soon, I will be saving my pennies

17. Andy Nichols

I didn't suggest you buy it. If you feel that free is the way to go, good for you! I didn't write a book to make money, just to help dispel those myths to help people fathom what ISO 9001 is really about, instead of relying on "spin". As for if ISO is "mandatory/compulsory", it depends on the market! In certain situations it IS mandatory to be certified as part of the contract language! Or maybe you are relying on mythology...

18. wessex

wessex Member

Andy, lol... between some suppliers/customers etc.. wouldnt say compulsory or mandatory.. best practice or you can still deal, buy sell etc.. without it, countries have got by for hundreds if not thousands of years with unnecessary paperwork..... madness... again, contracts can come in may shapes and forms, some real some not so real... leave that for contracts experts lol

19. Andy Nichols

I detect you're not an advocate of defined management systems? Having to meet a NATO contract requirement and install a QMS with a bunch of complete QMS rookies I can vouch for the fact that having a documented management system (none of which could be called "unnecessary paperwork) to meet NATO AQAP-1, was a significant reason for our success!

normzone likes this.
  20. normzone

normzone Well-Known Member

My career consists of making order out of chaos, and bringing raw tribal organizations through the Wild West stages into rudimentary compliance with best practices. Andy is correct - I will accept all the help I can get.

Alpine, wessex and Andy Nichols like this.