1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

"...the TYPE and EXTENT of control applied to the supplier..."

Discussion in 'Supplier Quality, Audits & Other Supplier Issues' started by normzone, Apr 18, 2016.

1. normzone

normzone Well-Known Member

I'm updating an internal audit checklist regarding this language from the 9001:2008 standard, and I'm wondering how you folks see the use of "extent" in this application.

As I currently have it, type and extent seem to me to all be one animal, but I know my external auditor will want to see it from both angles, as is his nature.

Any inputs appreciated - thanks.

2. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

They are separate ideas. TYPE is a nominal data concept. Type might be on-site audits vs. incoming inspection vs. QMS registration, etc. EXTENT is a continuous data concept. Extent is how much of something. For example, if your TYPE is incoming inspection, the EXTENT might be skip lot or every lot; critical product or all product, etc.

Bev D likes this.
  3. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

I apply it as follows.
    Suppouse I manufacture parts for nasa rockets, then I apply a full deep inspection for the used components for such parts,
    while a very light inspection is performed for supplied furniture used in my office (chairs,tables,etc.).

Hope this helps

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Why, Norm? Surely, the key here is that YOUR organization should have determined what this means in their QMS. On a practical note, the 2 issues are quite different. It's like shopping of groceries. What is the type and extent of the inspection you would perform on Campbell's soups? What is the type and extent of the inspection you'd perform on fruit or veg? It's about risk and ability to control that risk.

5. normzone

normzone Well-Known Member

Thanks all - inputs appreciated. Andy, in geological quality terms, the organization only recently moved onto land and began experimenting with legs :eek:

Andy Nichols likes this.