1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

I need Template Quality Manual of ISO 9001:2015

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Umar Bilal, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Umar Bilal

Umar Bilal Member

Dear All,

It would be great enough if someone will help me & provide me template for Quality Manual for 9001:2015 in soft form.

Best Regards,

Umar

2. pkfraser

pkfraser Active Member

Umar

Easy - you don't need one.

Jane Bennett likes this.
  3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Did the organization determine, from an understanding of "interested parties" and the "context of the organization" that it needed a quality manual? Since ISO 9001:2015 doesn't "require" a manual (as Peter Frazer is indicating) the requirement must have come from somewhere else...

4. Umar Bilal

Umar Bilal Member

pkfraser I desperately need QMS manual ISO 9001:2015 ,,,, please help me

5. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Umar, pkfraser and Andy are trying to tell you that there is no requirement within ISO 9001:2015 that says you need a QMS manual. Your organization may want one, but there is no requirement for a QMS manual. With that said, technically speaking, the manual is already written for you. It's the standard itself. Insert your organization's name wherever the term "organization" is used in the Standard and there's your manual. Toss in a cover page and some links to your procedures and there you have it...a QMS manual. Now this manual will add little value to your organization or your organization's QMS, but it will more than likely meet your want for one.

6. Umar Bilal

Umar Bilal Member

Thank you so much RoxaneB, as per my understanding, you told me that ISO 9001:2015 standard is manual itself, I just need to replace my company name instead of word "Organization"..... Is it? please confirm...
    If it is, then it is very convenient & easy for me generate Quality Manual just replacing word organization & other necessary things..........

7. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

Easy as is for perhaps a stage 1 audit of ISO9001:2015. But you still need to provide objective evidence such as documentation required by the new standard. If you alredy have a quality manual for ISO9001:2008 just add the Context of the Organization and remove the preventive action but do the business Risk Analysis (look in the resource of this forum) and you have an updated manual.

8. Umar Bilal

Umar Bilal Member

MCW8888 Thank you so much for your kind information

9. Paul Simpson

Paul Simpson Member

... And so it begins.
    • I need a manual
    • But you don't need a manual
    • I want a manual
    • What do you want it for?
    • I need it for an audit
    • But the audit doesn't require a manual
    • Repeat from the top.

Mateusz, judegu, QMS Jaeger and 10 others like this.
  10. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

In its most basic form, yes. It is easy. It is convenient. It is a waste of time and resources and will do nothing to engage your employees, nor will it foster a culture of quality. If you DO NOT NEED a manual (see Paul Simpson's response above and re-read mine, as well), why create one?!?! Consider the reason why. If your leadership is saying "We need one!", you can tell them "No, we do not. There is no requirement in the standard for one." If your external auditor is saying "Your organization needs one!", I recommend you find a new external auditor.

Of course, we are saying you DO NOT NEED one under the presumption that you are working towards ISO 9001:2015 - if you accidentally posted in this forum and meant to post in ISO 9001:2008, we could be having a different discussion.

11. Pancho

Pancho Active Member

Hello Umar,

Did a potential client request your company's Quality Manual as a pre-qualification requirement? If so, then I'd say what you really need is to implement a Quality Management System. Doing so from scratch will take a bit of time; I'd say 3 to 9 months if you are starting from scratch.

As part of developing your QMS you may decide to have a Quality Manual as part of your documented information. There is no set format for it and it is not required by the standard. What it may be useful for is for you to decide. Of course, if your clients demand it, then that would be a good reason for it.

Our manual is an explanation in prose of how we meet each of the provisions in the standard, with hyperlinks to the relevant procedures. It was written to comply with the 2008 standard. It is still quite useful to show to clients and new employees. But most "real" work is done accessing procedures directly, without going through the manual.

12. MCW8888

How will the stage 1 audit to ISO9001:2015 if there is no documentation about the organization? The only thing they can present is a website of the company describing its mission and vision and some governing policies and standard operating procedures? Can we just open our website and have the auditor navigate through the description of our processes end-to-end? I am asking this for the benefit of Umar Bilal.

I tried doing what Roxanne B has advised. It did not take me long to slap some reference documents after every major clause. But this will only be useful for the first time to guide the auditor. After that, it will be business as usual. After stage 1, the Manual will not be useful, but the reference documents will continue to be our living documents and may change.

13. Umar Bilal

Umar Bilal Member

Thank you so much guys for your assistance, i am really grateful to all...... :)

14. Paul Simpson

Paul Simpson Member

Ah, forgive me if I implied there would be no documents available to help describe the system. All the way through the 2015 edition there are references to 'documented information' and each instance makes a requirement for the organisation to produce a document (in whatever form and on whatever media it chooses). If you have an electronic copy of the standard it is an easy search and it's not that difficult even with a hard copy.

Now that documented information can be before the fact (procedure, policy, plan) or after the fact (record) and these will be the main subject of the Stage 1. There are a couple of requirements in ISO 9001 where the decision on amount of documentation is left to the organisation - 4.4.2 is classic requiring sufficient procedures and records (before the fact and after the fact documented information) to operate its processes. This will be an area for significant discussion, I guess.

If that is how they choose to represent their organisation's management system for quality then it is fine. We have to get past the idea that a procedure is required for everything and it exists as a hard copy on a shelf. It does require some creative thought by the organisation's quality people as to how they manage content of and change to the website, though.
    I'm not sure of the value of 'slapping' reference documents against clauses. I know many auditors and some audit bodies actual require an auditee to create a cross reference from the requirements document to the area of the system where the requirement is satisfied and this has some value for the auditee in preparing for an audit. It isn't something I use or would wish to be mandated.

This does neatly lead to the reason why many people will want to keep their Quality Manual: if you want to show someone (auditor, new starter, CEO) how your quality system works it helps to have a starting point and, whether that is a hard copy manual or an Intranet portal it has to be controlled as part of your QMS and should link through to other procedures and records (before the fact and after the fact documented information).

Hope this helps.

Jeppers and Marc Smith like this.
  15. MCW8888

Thank you. I really like your feedback.

16. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

If your reference is the 2008 version, use clause 4.2.2 as your guide. If 2015 and you really need to document a QM, say a customer demands "No QM - No Business", then you can still make use of the 2008's clause 4.2.2 as your guide.

17. Ricardo E. Medina

Ricardo E. Medina New Member

I was doing a search on the Internet and ran into this page on this forum. I am happy to have learned about this forum, as I am a consultant and third party auditor, and always enjoy ISO 9001 resources. This is an old thread, but still it was interesting to see all the different comments here. If would had been in the forum back then when the thread started, I would had told Umar that it would be difficult to find an ISO 9001:20015 manual template, because the new Standard eliminated the requirement to have one and a template for something not required would be something hard to sell. However, not having that as a requirement does not necessarily mean that you do not need one. If you do not find the need, that is OK. If you were among those whose manual was almost a duplicate of the old Standard, you would probably not see any value in having one. On the other hand, there are many people who had their manual as a document to describe their high level policies or intent. From there, you make reference to the processes and procedures (documented if needed) to achieve that intent. Processes and procedures help you have repeatable results, but it is the policies and intent what could be instilled into people to help the organization achieve higher standards. We the new Standard we have the option of not having to have a quality manual. But we also have the opportunity to have a set of documented information, in whatever format, to achieve communicate our policies and intent, and we can call it what ever we want. This is all my opinion. I am glad to share the little I know and learn a lot from this forum.

jaltangerel likes this.
  18. MCW8888

An advise from Big Jim is this:

"Even if a quality manual isn't required, they can still be used. According to Nigel Croft, the chairman of TC176, the committee that wrote ISO 9001, the committee expects that most companies will still have one. If they have one, it makes it easier to understand the organization. If they don't, auditors should be able to deal with it."

Since you are a 3rd Party auditor, and I am just a client, you may want to ask some "exploratory questions" such as how we determined the context of the organization and how we decide what issues and interested parties have influence the need for any type of documentation. This questions might lead you to the scope of QMS and its processes (Clause 4.4). During the initial audit, we were ask for a copy of a Quality Manual. But that was a mistake. I recommend that you do not ask for a copy of the Quality Manual because the standard does not require it.

Thanks a million Big Jim.

etorresg likes this.
  19. Marc Smith

Marc Smith Active Member

20. MCW8888

Thank you so much for all the discussion about the importance of a Quality Manual I 2015. I just completed the upgrade to 2015. We told the auditor that the reason why we had a manual is because he was asking for it. Otherwise, we did not need it. The auditor asked us about our strategic direction, interested parties, scope, policy, objectives , process interaction, risk based thinking and Management Review. The second part was auditing the process for compliance. He conducted and end-to-end audit of the SIPOC. IMHO a very good SIPOC could serve as a Quality Manual. Mie was not perfect but it did not create any major nonconformance.

Again, I owe a ton of gratitude to all the consultants, moderator and super moderator of this forum.