1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Weekend Warriors

Discussion in 'Coffee Break and Community Discussion Forum' started by Andy Nichols, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

The work week can be pretty draining. What do you do at the weekend for rest and relaxation?

Currently, I'm working on fixing the head gaskets on my (younger) son's Land Rover Discovery. I'm also trying to fix a few issues on my (older) sons 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. The components are so rusty it's almost impossible to do one job without destroying a number of components.

When not doing either of those things, I should be fixing some odds and ends on my truck but no chance until I get the others done. I share a boat with a son and that's fun to be on in summer. I love to ride my motor cycle, too.

2. Claes Gefvenberg

Claes Gefvenberg Moderator Staff Member

I have been busy...

As usual, I got caught up in a heap of books, but I also spent some time tinkering with my bikes. They are in good condition, but require constant attention to stay that way.
    There was also time for a trip to nearby Västerås Aviation Museum, which resulted in a stack of pictures to take care of.

Ettore likes this.
  3. Ravi Khare

Ravi Khare Member

A nice thread Andy....

I am a cycling enthusiast. Go on long rides with friends on weekends in the neighboring hills on my MTB (Bergamont Vitox 7.3 ). Once a year, I've been getting away on expedition kind of cycling rides to the Ladakh region in the Himalayas. Cycling happens on as many weekday mornings as possible too.

Apart from cycling, I spend a lazy weekend noons strumming up Beatles/ Bryan Adams kind of songs on my six-strings. With a current obsession with art, the past few months have taken me to weekend lessons in the art of watercolor nature painting.

PaulJSmith and Claes Gefvenberg like this.
  4. hogheavenfarm

hogheavenfarm Well-Known Member

Picked two gallons of red wine grapes and started a batch bubbling.

Alpine and Mikishots like this.
  5. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

I would play some golf now that it's cooling down a bit, but I strained (hopefully that's all) my rotator cuff while doing some touch up painting. o_O So I am doing audit planning and stuff that doesn't take much arm movement. Oh, and I work on my web site. http://conwaybusinessservices.com/

6. Claes Gefvenberg

Ditto! :D I probably ride as many miles on the bikes as in my car, and just like you I use my bikes (I have two Scott MTB's), for commuting as well as recreation. I am in fact daft enough to ride them all year round, unless the temperature drops below -20C/-4F. Any lower, and the grease in the bearings begins to freeze... :cool:

Ravi Khare likes this.
  7. PaulJSmith

PaulJSmith Well-Known Member

I usually spend my weekends in some combination of knocking things off the honey-do list (we live on a small farm, so there's always plenty to do) and playing music. I am currently playing acoustic bass guitar and cello in an acoustic rock trio. I'm also always trying to squeeze in time for various other music projects. I just completed recording nine songs for a funk album this past weekend, and am trying to tie up some loose ends on my latest string quartet arrangement (#22). I've not been very good lately at finding/making time to do some of my other favorite things like shooting, martial arts practice, reading, bicycling, or riding my motorcycle.

Ravi Khare likes this.
  8. Ravi Khare

Ravi Khare Member

Scotts are great bikes! I've been a confirmed MTB guy and a Bergamont fan. Recently got an opportunity to ride a Scott Hybrid. Amazing ride comfort and performance. No serious trouble on hard climbs either. Lot of people look like leaning towards Hybrids.

9. Claes Gefvenberg

I have two hardtails. You need a sturdy bike when you ride in this climate.

[​IMG]

Ravi Khare likes this.
  10. Emmyd

Emmyd Member

I love to quilt/sew when my son isn't playing baseball - which is now a yearlong thing for him. Started a new project with my daughter - she is starting the restoration of a 1962 Ford Falcon for her first car. Hopefully it will be done in the year & half before she turns 16.

11. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

Looks like majority of you are motor cyclist, bicyclist, golfing, honeydoing this and that. I work full time during the week and I try to catch up with house keeping during weekends and plan the next trip out on company's business. Kind of boring isn't it? After working for more than 30+ years perhaps I am going to just lay around with a good book.

Pancho and Ravi Khare like this.
  12. Claes Gefvenberg

Well, I ride a bike to work a lot more more often than the car, getting some exercise in at the same time. You mentioned books... What do you read? :)

13. MCW8888

For Imperfect people like me? i usually settle on books that enhance my spuirituality. Favorite writer? Teilhard de Chardin. I usually buy the books suggested by the forum members and I read them too. last time I was on the plane I was reading a book entiled "Fish" and I did not know that someone in the plane was taking a photograph of the book cover so I just gave it to him.:)

14. Claes Gefvenberg

Ok... Someone I have never heard of... :)

15. MCW8888

Google him and read some of his quotes. I just take time and reflect on his quotes when I get confused of what's happening to this world now.

16. Bazinga

Bazinga Member

I like to head to our cottage and do a little fishing. Also working on remodeling it so that some day down the road when I retire I will be able to move there permanently.

17. Claes Gefvenberg

Sounds good. It has me gobsmacked all the time... o_O

18. Candi1024

Candi1024 Well-Known Member

I just like spending time with my kids. Often hanging out at the pool, or running them around for activities. After the house gets cleaned of course. :)

I enjoy reading and bird watching, but that comes few and far between.

19. Candi1024

Candi1024 Well-Known Member

I did just that, and this quote may make it to my facebook page:

"Growing old is like being increasingly penalized for a crime you haven't committed."

MCW8888 likes this.
  20. Ravi Khare

Ravi Khare Member

It's weekend already!

What a handsome bike Claes!

Here's mine
    [​IMG]

Rides like a breeze!

Books do provide a quiet unwound noon, however I'm getting a little bored with technical, management and the feel good self help kinds. Seriously contemplating going back to the school time P G Wodehouses or even the long forgotten Alistair MacLean thrillers:)