1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

12 months rolling metric

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Casana14, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Casana14

Casana14 Member

I am trying to confirm if there is 'requirement’ for 12 months rolling metrics… anyone know?

Our certification auditor chastised us for doing our metrics on a yearly basis as opposed to having a rolling metric. If I'm going to ask our management to change the way they track performance I'd like to have some backup (like a documented requirement.

2. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

I hope the auditor does not give you a nonconformance for what you do. However, you may want to add value to your process by looking at your metrics monthly because if abnormalities are detected there should be a plan to normalize the trend- catch it and do something about it before it creates a negative impact to the internal and external parties.

3. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

There is no "requirement." How you look at data and metrics is your business. With regards to adding value or the "best way" it would depend on them metric -- how the data are collected, what it is, how stable is it, etc. Good luck.

4. Casana14

Casana14 Member

Is there any other TS16949 'supplemental' type standard or guidance document that could have suggested the 12 month rolling 'requirement'?

5. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

no. your auditor is injecting his personal opinion.

6. BradM

BradM Moderator Staff Member

I'm like the others. Unless the requirement for how metrics is calculated is clearly documented, I don't understand why the auditor would be specifying that.

There are hundreds of different forecasting models out there. Reason being, it has to fit the particular business application and the industry which they are in.

7. Golfman25

Yes. There is a secret, unpublished, code that all the auditors use. Makes it very frustrating for us mere mortals. :)

Provide us details of the finding.

8. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Well, you know you can't become TS certified without the 12 months' of data - so, chances are your auditor has gotten an attack of "mission creep" on this. Best to take it up with your CB's Auditor manager for clarification. Otherwise this auditor is going to be going around messing with a lot of other clients...

9. Casana14

Casana14 Member

Oh, there was no finding. He kinda implied that it was a requirement but never stated it as such. I suspect he was trying to do 'consulting' without doing it explicitly. Sounds like I'm free to ignore his comment. [​IMG]

LOL Golfman, I'll have to hunt down this secret auditor code then!! [​IMG]

Thx for all the comments! Appreciate your validating my gut feeling ;)

10. Casana14

Casana14 Member

WAIT! I just remembered why he asked us for the rolling metric - he said it was because he needs to review the last 12 months, and he can't do that in September if we only show him Jan-Oct data (because we track metrics on a yearly basis). That was when he implied it was a requirement - citing the 12 months of data required by the std. We did have all of the previous year's data on hand, but he wanted it in a rolling month format. Hence my desire to confirm there was no mandate for the 'rolling' part.

11. Andy Nichols

It does beg the question how you are monitoring your process(es) against quality objectives, however. The auditor may have not asked the RIGHT question...

12. Casana14

Casana14 Member

We set the objectives on a yearly basis, not a rolling calendar. So January we set objectives - then check progress during management review, then next January we look at the 12 months result and start again.

13. Golfman25

Obviously that's not complicated enough.

14. _Zeno_

_Zeno_ Member

The nice thing about going on an annual calendar rather than a rolling 12 month is you get a clean slate at the start of every year. Additionally, you don't have to worry about any pecky trends for several months because there won't be enough data. And then by the time you can determine whether there's an impact on the system from any continuous improvement activities, viola!, you get to wipe the slate clean at the start of next year.

SIGN ME UP!

15. Andy Nichols

?????

16. _Zeno_

_Zeno_ Member

still learning to type, S/B pesky

also, sorry if the sarcasm didn't come through