1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Looking to change registrar

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Adriane, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Adriane

Adriane Member

Has anyone had experience with changing registrars?

Kathy Stewart likes this.
  2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Yes! What do you need to know?

3. Adriane

Adriane Member

How long is the process normally? Should I just expect the new registrar to show up and perform our re-cert as our current one does? I know that they will need to review our past audits, management reviews and measureables before hand. Any registrar experiences good or bad? I've reached out to several registrars for quotes. We are up for re-certification and had decided after our last surveillance that there were just one too many instances of findings based upon opinion to shop around. And now our current registrar has implemented a pre-pay system and also a $500 administrative fee for certificate issuance or some such nonsense. I've been told that for a re-cert, I need to have the audit completed on or before the last 3 year audit date? Can you confirm or deny that? I just want to have all of my ducks in a row when I get quotes and speak to these people because salesmen...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2016
  4. Andy Nichols

The process takes as long as the following:
    • You select a CB
    • You complete a form to request a quote/transfer, including details of why you want to transfer
    • Since this is ISO/TS 16949 - a request to transfer is lodged with the country IATF member
    • You sign up with that CB
    • You tell your current CB "good bye" and return the certificate
    • You submit your past audit results etc
    • You schedule your visit with your new CB (before expiry of your current certificate and in sufficient time to ensure processing before that date)
    ..because what?;)

Adriane likes this.
  5. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Most CB's will have a particular time frame when they want the audit completed in order to give everyone time to clean up any issues. I think there also are some IATF rule -- so it can't be too early or too late.

I'd like to here your stories as we have the same issue. Not sure how to private message.

Adriane likes this.
  6. Andy Nichols

A client cannot transfer with any open corrective actions. Period. The audit must be conducted based on (prior to) the last day of the previous reassessment or the stage 2 audit (whichever is applicable)

Adriane likes this.
  7. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

I think you misunderstood the point - who said anything about transfer and open corrective actions. According to the OP they have completed their 3 year cycle and are up for re-cert which is a good time to shop. My answer is in response to her question regarding re-cert timing. In our experience, we have used a 90 day window prior to certificate expiration to conduct the audit and close any corrective actions.

Adriane likes this.
  8. Andy Nichols

Because that's what the OP is doing - transferring (not open ncs)! Once any business holds a certificate and wants to use another CB, it becomes a transfer. Or they have to start over with a stage 1 and stage 2, again. I was clarifying the situation in terms of the transfer of certification, which also has to be considered as well as timing. Some of these finer points are not always understood or experienced by clients. I have had clients who wanted to work with another CB and offered their certificate which had been withdrawn, but they still had a copy and were attempting to transfer.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    Adriane and MCW8888 like this.
  9. Sidney Vianna

Sidney Vianna Well-Known Member

A couple of things: according to the IATF Rules, the new CB must perform the transfer audit, any potential NC must be resolved AND a certification decision must happen BEFORE your current certificate expires. So, you must have assurance by the incoming CB that they will have the resources and responsiveness to go through your transfer process in a timely manner.

Second, according to the IATF Rules, the incoming CB must advise you NOT to terminate the contract with the current CB before all transfer activities are performed.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  10. Adriane

Adriane Member

Thank you everyone! We are still shopping and getting quotes to transfer. We don't have any open NCs to worry about. It does not seem that there is anywhere on-line that has a collective CB review/recommendations/warnings. Does anyone know of such a site?

11. Andy Nichols

Not recently. It was tried a good while ago, but it's something which changes as frequently as the last audit... You CAN check the ANAB site to see who has been suspended for various reasons.