1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Calibration Services- Prerequisites to start a calibration lab

Discussion in 'ISO 17025 - Calibration and Test Laboratories' started by kedar, Dec 30, 2015.

1. kedar

kedar Member

dear Friends

i am deciding to start calibration services. i want to know what are the prerequisites start up calibration laboratory.

Please guide

2. BradM

BradM Moderator Staff Member

Hello Kedar! Welcome to the forum!

The perquisites really depend on what kind of calibration work you are planning on doing, and what kind of factors need to be controlled.

Do you know what kind of testing you are going to do? Also, do you know what kind of uncertainties you are wanting to achieve? Or do you know what accuracies you are needing to obtain?

equilibrium likes this.
  3. kedar

kedar Member

calibration of instruments like vernier micrometer plug gauges thread gauges & special gauges to check geometrical relations etc

4. chris2pher

chris2pher New Member

how have you got on?

5. kedar

kedar Member

i searched on internet also, i could not get any guidelines

6. equilibrium

equilibrium Member

I'm a bit late to this thread I realize. Have you worked for a calibration lab before or do you presently work for one? That's probably the best way to get a feel for how this kind of business operates. BradM made some good points above regarding some of the specifics. You'll need a climate-controlled space at a minimum for sure. You'll need reference standards traceable to a national standard. Some specialized equipment is a possibility, although with the calibrations you describe it may not be necessary to have much (gage blocks, mic rods, thread wires, surface plate, indicators, height stands, etc.) at least to start. If you are going to be compliant to, say ISO 17025, you'll need a copy of the standard to get a better idea of requirements. You should certainly know how much this is going to cost before you proceed.

I'm going on the assumption that this is something you've been thinking about for some time, and also that you're not looking for general advice on how to start a business.

kedar likes this.