1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Career Guidance - Internal Auditor

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Padym, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Padym

Padym Active Member

Hi Team,
    I seek guidance so that I can choose a right path. I possess total 13 years’ experience in IT operations i.e. managing Help desk, Change/Incident management, Customer Relationship mgmt. as primary role. Last 6 years was exposed to BPO industry. I was active participant in conducting internal audits as part of Organization wide Audit program and frequent events to face as auditee for client, internal and certification Audit program.
    In the year 2012, I completed training course in ISO 27001:2011 LA and ISO 9001:2008 LA.
    Since last 1 year, I got opportunity to work as full-time Internal Auditor for ISO 9001:2008 and involved in GAP assessments for ISO 27001:2013 and PCI 3.1. I’d be glad if you could suggest career path options for me. (Certifications, books, newsletters, forums, consultancy experience, personal development).
    The goal I want to achieve after 5-6 years is either to open my own consultancy or get associated with one.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

As a consultant for some 16 years in a huge range of industries, I can't recall anyone asking me for details of any certifications I had. Perhaps, just perhaps, in the ISMS industry some qualification in Infosec is recognized by peers, but most don't have a clue what a "Lead Auditor" is anyways...

3. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

Perhaps you could take the ANSI course to start your consultancy career. Then you will be very attractive to any CB.

4. Andy Nichols

People who have attended a LA course are ten a penny. They aren't attractive to most CBs because going to a course (even with passing a test) doesn't make you any different to hundreds of other people... trust me.

5. MCW8888

But are you not suppose to be sponsored by a CB when you attend this ANSI training? Then the CB will use you as a contractor? What do I know?

6. Andy Nichols

I'm not sure what "ANSI" training you're referring to. Auditors have different options: Exemplar Global, IRCA (or others) accredited training is not a requirement to become a CB auditor. Each sets it's own competencies. What you have posted is unique to the TS 16949 world.

7. MCW8888

Thanks for the enlightenment.

8. Padym

Padym Active Member

Thank you guys. My intention is to acquire relevant certifications, requirements may it could be training course on LA simultaneously as I gain experience / apply principles in my current organization. Final goal is to be acceptable after 6 years to CB as an external contractor / consultant services, just the lack of having certifications should be hindrance. I love to self study and read lot of books & online resources.
    It would be great if anyone shares their personal path experience to become consultant / external Audit .

9. Padym

Padym Active Member

I'm based out of Mumbai india, and here PECB recognized training on ISO LA are widely available. Is PECB is equivalent to IRCA, Exemplar Global and widely recognized.

10. Andy Nichols

Have to researched the experience requirements to be a lead auditor? It's not simply studying and passing a test/course

11. Padym

Padym Active Member

Andy I have gone thru requirements for IRCA. But I just asking to share real-time experience.

12. Andy Nichols

The best consultants and auditors have experience of implementation. They know and have empathy for HOW things are done. If anyone has done a lot of auditing (only) doesn't - in my 30 years of implementation experience - mean as much. Just as with any job, if you've 'walked a mile" in the other person's shoes, you have a better understanding. I find a lot of people have huge biases about certain functions - sales for example - and as a result use this bias to "prove" they are right (to themselves) when auditing... Those, however, who have actual experience of a role they audit, have empathy and ask appropriate questions.

Get lots of experience of many roles, then go audit.

13. Abdul wajeed k

Abdul wajeed k New Member

Hi,
    am Abdul wajeed work as supplier quality,
    i would like to the best way for the internal auditor,
    Some courses that carry certification for the auditor qualification,

14. Andy Nichols

Abdul - just about any training course will give you a certificate. I'm sure if you so a Google search in your region of the World you can find an ISO 9001 Internal Auditor course somewhere nearby.

Abdul wajeed k likes this.
  15. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

The IT Auditor position is a specialty with a clear demand that is not going away, though availability may be limited to areas with a lot of industry.

The jobs listed in the link I provided may give insights as to the types of skills and certification employers are asking for. The clear focus is on risk management, with both financial and tactical focus points. The jobs listed in the link I provided do, in fact mix accounting industry with IT network administration; both are specialties and both have undergraduate and graduate programs and industry certifications.

I hope this helps!

16. Amelia Jhon

Amelia Jhon New Member

Wow, that's great. If you have experience in this field and you know that how to completely audit a company, then I must say it's really a good option to open your own consultancy. Nowadays, almost every company wants such audits for their companies to identify the risk assessment of their firm. So it will be a great idea to start such a setup. I think every company should have ISO 27001 certification.

MODERATOR EDIT: Link removed from "ISO 27001 certification" - appears to be connecting to a consulting firm. Violates QFO Terms of Service.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2021
  17. Mehrdad Soltanifar

Mehrdad Soltanifar Member

I can see two pathways based on your interests. Become a consultant, or become an auditor for a CB.

If you want to open your consultancy company, there is no point in putting effort to become an external auditor first. It would surely be an advantage, but you can simply apply for junior consultancy jobs for ISO 9001, 27001, 14001, 45001, etc. and after a couple of years, you will gain enough knowledge, experience and confidence to open your own business.

If you want to be an external auditor, it would be easier to be registered as a "lead auditor" (preferably) by the IRCA or Exemplar global. Registration in the IRCA is a bit more challenging than Exemplar global because in addition to passing an IRCA approved course, (As far as I remember) you should be signed off by a registered IRCA lead auditor for 7 complete audits. (Since I'm not an auditor, this information may not be 100% accurate.)

Now about the books for self-study, I can recommend the following:
    • ISO 9001 QMS - Natarajan
    • ISO 27001 controls - Kenyon
    • ISO 14001 step by step (Naeem Sadiq)
    • Establishing an OHSMS (Naeem Sadiq)

18. Andy Nichols

This thread was started 5/6 years ago. It would be interesting to know if the goal was achieved.