1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Incoming Material Traceability

Discussion in 'Sampling, Standards and Inspection' started by Craig L, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Craig L

Craig L Member

Hi All

I have a question for you all,
    What method/s do you use to trace incoming materials e.g. steels & plastics (for small workshop 19 staff)
    Do you stamp them with the order number?
    Do you attach stickers to them?

Also with the excess material left over what is the best way to keep a record of them, for future reference?

any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Craig L

2. hogheavenfarm

hogheavenfarm Well-Known Member

For sheet steel and metals we write the Job# and PO # on them with a paint marker. Drops are simply marked with gauge and material, and job #. This info is back traceable through the job file which will have the material certs in it. Stickers don't stay on Hot roll pickle and oil....

Craig L and Atul Khandekar like this.
  3. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

We tag everything with a sequential lot number. That lot number transfers throughout the production parts to shipping. It is also traceable back to the original cert.

4. Craig L

Craig L Member

Thanks Guys

I think I will put the PO number and the running job number with a paint marker.
    thanks for all your input.

Jennifer Kirley likes this.
  5. S1D3K1CK

S1D3K1CK Active Member

What about Stainless steel, brass, expanded metal, aluminum, and different grades of steel? The thicknesses ranging anywhere (with all materials) from 20GA. to 2". Also, we supply over 8,000 different parts to our customer, throughout the year, production is "order based". We have a lot number assignment sheet that we then mark on the batch when the material comes off the delivery truck but, paint markers can be wiped off, not added to the next sheet(s), etc.

I was thinking of painting the actual racks that the material is stored on, color-coding each rack by each type of material (color choices at our discretion), and then color-code each level by the respective thickness having a posted color cheat sheet.

6. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

Industry uses color coding for identifying raw material metal types. I would suggest you conform to existing code schemes. Thicknesses are simple enough to arrange.

I have seen paint markers used successfully to note PO and/or heat numbers.

I would add signage to the racks as well as colors, keeping in mind some people are color blind or may become color blind through medications or medical conditions.

S1D3K1CK likes this.