1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Problem solving - The joke that turned real.

Discussion in 'Coffee Break and Community Discussion Forum' started by Claes Gefvenberg, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Claes Gefvenberg

Claes Gefvenberg Moderator Staff Member

• I did a quite amusing bit of problem solving yesterday: I went to Degerfors in a rental car: A hybrid with a dashboard looking every bit like a computer game. When I was done there, and about to go home I sat in the car checking my messages, which took a while. Then, when I attempted to get the car going, a whole lot of NOTHING happened. All the dials showed the correct readings, but... Nope! NO GO, and nothing I tried made the stubborn vehicle budge. :confused: That was when I remembered this old joke:

Three engineers were riding in a car: a mechanical engineer, a chemical engineer, and a Microsoft software engineer. The car stalled, and they rolled it to the side of the road.

The mechanical engineer popped the hood, looked in and said -Look. The drive belt is loose. All we have to do is tighten it up and the car will work just fine.

The chemical engineer replied -No, that's all wrong. The problem is fuel contamination. We have to drain the fuel, filter it, and then everything will be A-OK.

The Microsoft software engineer told the other two -No, I've seen this problem before. We have to get back in the car, close all the windows, shut down the car, get out, get back in, start up the car, open all the windows, and then it will run.

I decided to give the Microsoft way a chance, so I turned everything off, climbed out, and locked the car. Then I got back in, and lit things up again... and drove off just like that!:D

So, maybe the joke is not on Microsoft anymore... o_O

reynald, MCW8888, Pancho and 6 others like this.
  2. Candi1024

Candi1024 Well-Known Member

A sign of the times to come! That's hilarious.

3. Nikki

Nikki Well-Known Member

4. PaulJSmith

PaulJSmith Well-Known Member

Now, that's funny. Although, probably much funnier now that your not 150km from home in a car that won't start. o_O

Claes Gefvenberg likes this.
  5. Claes Gefvenberg

To be honest I was not terribly worried. I had another trick up my sleeve: If all else had failed, I would have resorted to.... ....shudder.... :eek: ....reading the manual.

PaulJSmith and Jennifer Kirley like this.
  6. Ganesh Sundaresan

Ganesh Sundaresan Active Member

Back home, we call it Jugaad technology:D

7. Alpine

Alpine Member

Sounds like something my husband's Land Rover regularly does.....

8. Claes Gefvenberg

Great... You just taught me a new expression. Thank you.:)
    Yeah... I suppose you run that risk in any reasonably new car. So... Is it new?

Ganesh Sundaresan likes this.
  9. Alpine

Alpine Member

It is new, his Defender is awesome and perfect for his lifestyle (hunter/fisherman), however Land Rover electronics are the pits. A friend of mine is in supplier quality at GHM, and we had this discussion to which he said most car companies use the same suppliers. My response to that is that Rover develop their own electronics and that is what will play up ~ 2 years, and given he has had 3 cars in the time we have been together and it has happened to them all, I stand by my theory. Great 4WD's but frustrating as always something wrong and hard here to find someone who knows how to fix them. Happy with my Mitsubishi, over 334,000 kilometres, and no issues ever.