1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Workbook/Job Traveler Tracebility

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by MapleQuality, Apr 7, 2021.

1. MapleQuality

MapleQuality Member

Hi all,
    My question is about job traveler traceability.
    We are a small manufacturing shop and produce hollow shafts.
    These shafts are comprised of over 20 parts (disk, pins, hubs, etc). We serialize the finished product (which is the shaft), but we do not serialize every small component and part that goes into the finish product.

How should we assign the job travelers to the parts (since we dont serialize all the parts that we receive from suppliers)? For instance, we may get a batch of 50 disks, 50 pins, 50 hubs, etc. When we are welding all these parts as per the job traveler instruction, we will have 50 job travelers but how do we allocate those 50 job travelers to their respective parts during the manufacturing? Is it acceptable to just pick any of those parts in the batch and match it with any one of the 50 job travelers (at different stages of manufacturing)?
    At this point, serializing all the parts is not an option unfortunately.

2. Eric Twiname

Eric Twiname Well-Known Member

How long does it take to weld all 50? If that is a one-day job, I would just use one traveler for the 50pc batch...then sub-serial based on that batch.
    (I have assumed that you are not mixing lots of components, and that 50 finished parts are made from 50 disks from the same lot, 50 pins from the same lot, etc.)

The direct answer to the question you asked is "However makes sense for your organization and gives you value".

MapleQuality likes this.
  3. S1D3K1CK

S1D3K1CK Active Member

Can you have your suppliers serialize the parts in batches that they send to you?

MapleQuality likes this.
  4. MapleQuality

MapleQuality Member

Thanks Eric.
    No, it will take a couple weeks to weld the 50 parts. To make things even more complicated, during the manufacturing, we have to send these parts to suppliers for machining several times (i.e. we weld, send for machining, weld additional parts to them, send them for machining, weld additional parts, send for machining, etc). So there are a few back and forth processes during manufacturing. As such, I am not sure how I can keep track of job travelers, and allocate parts to the correct job traveler.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  5. MapleQuality

MapleQuality Member

No unfortunately the will not be able to do that.

6. S1D3K1CK

S1D3K1CK Active Member

Color code. Use certain color tags for each "batch" and have the traveler the same color of that batch to visually pinpoint what parts were done to what traveler, vice versa. if you can't attach tags or keep them on the parts, can you use spray paint that will match the traveler color?

MapleQuality likes this.
  7. Eric Twiname

Eric Twiname Well-Known Member

With that process, I would group into a number that makes sense (5?, 10?) and push them through all of the ins and outs together...and require the machine shop to keep them together. Each group is one traveler.

Weld 5, serial/traveler the set, send out the 5pc set, receive the 5pc set, reattach the same traveler, weld 5, send out 5.........

But that's all efficiency stuff...your question of "what is required?"...it is required that you decide what works best for you (risk, efficiency, trace, etc.) and arrange your process accordingly.

MapleQuality and S1D3K1CK like this.
  8. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Can I ask a simple question? Why are you wanting to make a traveler traceable?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    MapleQuality and John C. Abnet like this.
  9. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @MapleQuality ;
    I'm going to continue along the lines of the sound question asked by @Andy Nichols .

In addition to considering Andy's question,....what does your organization (including your customer)....NEED?
    ISO9001 is not prescriptive in regards to the type and extent of traceability. Keep in mind that the primary intent/purpose of traceability is to limit exposure. i.e. if there is a problem/change point internally, at your customer, in the market, does your organization need to consider 20 million parts or simply 20 parts? If there is a "recall" or replacement of any type, how big is your organization's (and your customer's) exposure? Can your organization quickly and efficiently "lay hands" on a limited number of product? If the group of 50 components you refer to are all governed by a reasonable size lot/lot control, then maybe that is all your organization and customer need. "We" cannot answer this question for you. This has to do with the amount of risk your organization and customer deem expectable.

How long has your organization been functioning in the current manner? i.e. what is the impetus for considering change to how traceability is currently managed?

Food for thought.

Be well.