1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Annual PPAP Validations

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Marty Keenan, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Marty Keenan

Marty Keenan Member

So let's say I started working at a new company recently and they are Registered to IATF16949. I start looking into annual PPAP validations and find pretty much nothing. I have no idea what parts are active (shipped in the past 12 months) and I have no idea when a PSW was last signed for each part. I ask three people here and I am pointed to three different directions but the end result is that even if I find a signed PSW, there is no way to tell that it is the most recent (unless it is less than 1 year old).

Am suggestions on an efficient method to clean this up and become complaint?

2. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Collect all the PPAPs you can from whatever source and sort thru them. Put them in appropriate files to organize. Assuming you have certain customer who require the PPAP, you can run shipment reports to find out what has been shipping and when. Cross reference and work from there.

3. Marty Keenan

Marty Keenan Member

Thanks Golfman25! That's is the current approach but man is it going to be time consuming. It will takes weeks to finish that. I was hoping there was an easier idea out there that I wasn't thinking of!

4. Plax68740

Plax68740 New Member

I experienced the same situation 7 years ago when I took over the post of quality manager.

fortunately, our clients are big groups and have a ppap web platform. (example: Faurecia = ePPAP).
    maybe you can look that way?

Otherwise, make a list of product by customer and request the last PSW report for each product. Explain the situation ...

When you have all of this, create a standard tree structure for your products files.

Marty Keenan likes this.
  5. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

:eek:

I'd go to the senior-most management and ask why no-one knows...

Diego_99atv and Marty Keenan like this.
  6. Marty Keenan

Marty Keenan Member

There is a reason some people are no longer with the organization!

Andy Nichols likes this.
  7. qmr1976

qmr1976 Well-Known Member

We've always had our PPAPs organized by customer and then by type of PPAP on our network. However, during a VDA audit by one of our customers, we could not locate a signed PSW for a specific PPAP. We had the original that was not signed but no evidence showing where the customer had signed off on it. After some further investigation, it was discovered that the customer did not like the Gage R & R results and was looking for corrective actions because of it and would not sign off on the PSW. That is where the conversation ended between our customer and the quality manager. (Who is no longer with us). He never followed up with our customer to obtain a signed PSW. Long story short, we got hit with a corrective action for not being able to provide the necessary PPAP documentation that proves were are approved to run the current process. Even for customers that have a platform to upload all PPAP data, we are still tracking it internally so that we can avoid these types of issues in the future. We are currently reviving an old system that was put out to pasture for one reason or another in Microsoft Access that will help us track our PPAP submissions. Good luck! :)