1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Internal Customer Complaints

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Andy Lennon, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Andy Lennon

Andy Lennon New Member

At present our company has a customer complaints procedure and I wish to introduce a separate Internal Complaints Procedure as I don't think that internal complaints are being recorded. My Manager thinks that I should just add internal complaints as a type of customer complaint onto existing procedure but surely this will just increase the number of complaints against the complaint and skew the figures. Any advice from you experts? Thanks!

2. pkfraser

pkfraser Active Member

Andy

I would forget about the fact that 9001 talks about "internal customers" - and then ignores that definition throughout the rest of the standard (every other use of the term "customer" means "the one who is buying").
    If an individual or department has a problem with something that another individual or department does or doesn't do, then the relevant process needs to improve. It ain't a "customer complaint".

tony s likes this.
  3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I agree with the learned gentleman from Aberdeen! Building a system around internal complaints is unproductive. Use a problem solving technique, such as 8D, form a team from the relevant processes and solve the issue.

4. pkfraser

pkfraser Active Member

Thanks, Rusty!

5. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

:eek:

6. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

As with most data, you can slice and dice it to focus on the relevant stuff...or include the irrelevant stuff. You *could* simply add an internal complaint category to your existing external customer process, but this will likely add little value to any improvement activities.

In my previous life, internal complaints were essentially recorded as nonconformances - they were tracked and addressed appropriately. Addressing them appropriately allows you hopefully resolve the individual issues as they arise. Tracking them allows you to look for trends within your internal operations.

Parag Kumar likes this.
  7. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

I manage this as process non conformances, not as complaints, complaints is only for external customers (who buys)
    Usually it happens that some people, don´t do what is needed and in timely manner.
    To place orders to suppliers, to provide some information,etc. and all these
    cases affect everywhere in the management system.
    Hope this helps

8. Liam S

Liam S Member

I am also in the process of setting something up very similar.
    After reading some of these comments, I'm guess it would be better to title this Internal Non-Conformance rather than Internal Complaint?

We are look to setting this up to comply with continual improvements more than anything, which is indeed required for ISO 10.3.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    Andy Nichols likes this.
  9. Bart Verdoodt

Bart Verdoodt Member

To avoid any negative connotation with words as "complaint", "claim" or "non-conformance", we use the term "quality issue" for logging issues from customers, towards suppliers, or internal.
    This leaves room to treat internal issues like findings during internal / external audit results, but also continuous improvement actions.
    But hey... what's in a name.

10. Liam S

Liam S Member

Hi Bart,

We ran the 'Quality Issue' title with another QMS, the problem we found here was using the word 'Quality' put it on the Quality Department too heavily. Sometimes the internal issue can be with other departments within the business, and although the 'issue' was raise too/by Quality, the actual 'issue' needed to be addressed be with ie. Sales Department.

But i also agree, whats in a name. ;)

Andy Nichols likes this.
  11. NISHITH NEEMA

NISHITH NEEMA Member

Andy Lennon said:
    At present our company has a customer complaints procedure and I wish to introduce a separate Internal Complaints Procedure as I don't think that internal complaints are being recorded. My Manager thinks that I should just add internal complaints as a type of customer complaint onto existing procedure but surely this will just increase the number of complaints against the complaint and skew the figures.
    Answ-Mr Andy Lenon A customer complaint mean Non conformity/ Non compliance of product whether it is internal or external it has to be considered significant and to be closed into the system (corrective action), so that problem do not occur in future. Remember this will be a continual improvement process and the magnitude of the problem will surely reduce.

12. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

I think is not a good idea, since Internal non conformances are found in bad products, and in internal audits.

13. Liam S

Liam S Member

Hi Qualmx,

I actually agree, using the wording 'non-conformance' is maybe not the correct way of titling this. Other words like 'issue', 'problem', 'concern', 'matter'.... It just which one would be the better option when dealing with something internally for improvement? <- maybe its 'Internal Improvement'?

14. Rustle

Rustle Member

I call it 'Issues and Actions' register so it can log good and bad things and have a spreadsheet version which includes categories which can be filtered for type i.e. Non-conformance, customer complaint, improvement suggestion etc...
    I also include a separate sheet for root cause analysis in case this is required and to prevent the main list of issues taking too long to complete (which prevents some people completing it).
    Would be happy to share if anyone needs such a register.