1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.
  1. GPrabhakar

GPrabhakar New Member

Where I can address the pandemic Covid-19 in ISO 9001:2015 std. Is it in clause 6.1.1.c?

2. Mike S.

Mike S. Member

We addressed it under 4.1 in a review of external issues.

3. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @GPrabhakar and welcome to the site. This has been discussed on this site previously. Here is a link (followed my particular response to a similar question at that time.....

http://www.qualityforumonline.com/forum/index.php?threads/covid-19-addressing.2810/#post-20081

Apologies if my response sounds curt, however, I am perplexed that the question about "risk" (and "contingency") keeps coming up on this and other forums specific to coronavirus .

Within "risk" (and "contingency") there are all type of specific situations/details that we have never considered before coronavirus, so why now? Why is this different?

Keep in mind the intent of the authors (ISO). The scope of ISO 9001 (paraphrased) is as follows...

1-
    a) Provide conforming products
    b) Keep improving in order to keep increasing customer satisfaction

So, what are the risks that can prevent 1- a) and b) ?

It's ANY disruption including those that impact available labor force. This might be any of a multitude of viruses/illnesses, labor strike etc...etc....etc..etc..etc...etc..etc...etc...etc...etc..etc....etc...etc....

I would assume (hope) that organizations already consider ANY disruption to labor or other event that would prevent 1- a) and b). I doubt your organization specifically listed "H1N1 virus", or "Swine flu" or "Ebola" or "Influenza" or "SARS" or "Zika" or ........

So why THIS virus specifically?

Think broad, don't get embroiled in each individual instance. You'll drown.

Hope this helps. Be well.

Laura N., yodon and Andy Nichols like this.
  4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

5. Mike S.

Mike S. Member

Maybe I'm barking up the wring tree but I'm looking at this inquiry from another angle.

Someone famously said "no battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy". Mike Tyson said it a little more bluntly, "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." Sure, you should have had a disaster plan/contingency plans already written before this current pandemic hit. But likely during "do-check" you found some holes, so you "act". We keep records of such monitoring, review, and actions and our procedure covering such review happens to be written around 4.1 requirements, but of course section 6 is related.

6. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

7. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

IDK, this is a global pandemic. Not sure there is such thing as a "contingency plan" when the whole world is falling apart. You just keep swinging at the next pitch thrown. I had a large multinational customer send a notice that they expected us to continue to meet their schedules at the risk of legal action. A week later, they said they where shutting down for the foreseeable future.

tony s, Mike S. and John C. Abnet like this.
  8. Mike S.

Mike S. Member

Now that's hilarious! Sad, but hilarious.