1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Internal Audits

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Oudai Doorandan, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Oudai Doorandan

Oudai Doorandan New Member

Dear Members,

Given the COVID-19 situation most of our employees are on paid leave or work for two days in the office depending on their role. As a result we cannot conduct internal audits, Quality Management Review Meeting among other meetings. I have a recert audit in August and I am concerned this may come back to haunt me.

Can you please share how you guys are managing these aspects of your QMS at this time. I am still relatively new at the role of QA, I welcome any advice.

2. Parag Kumar

Parag Kumar Member

To my mind, if you have been conducting internal quality audits and management reviews regularly, you can document and internally communicate the reason and delay the process for when it will be practical. However, if due these activities must complete well in time before your external audit.

You can also check with your certification agency on their take on the issue.

Let's see what others have to say?

3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Firstly, Mr. Kumar is correct. Talk to your Certification Body. Some, not all, have already communicated their remote or virtual audit planning.

If you are worried about having created a calendar of audits that you cannot be fulfilled, then simply change it through your document control system. Also, you can create a management review record, since it never had to be a meeting, by simply covering the salient points of the review agenda and circulating it via email for your management to endorse. Keep the records of comments to show your CB auditor through file/screen sharing.

Jennifer Kirley and Parag Kumar like this.
  4. Parag Kumar

Parag Kumar Member

Thank you Mr Nichols, for bringing out the point on management review.

Yes, a meeting is not necessary. The agenda can be circulated, reviewed by the top management and comments recorded. Should a discussion be necessary to reach a decision on further action/s, the same can take place through various means such as emails, phone or video conferencing etc.

Jennifer Kirley and Andy Nichols like this.
  5. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

I would say do the best you can. Meetings can happen virtually, etc. My own opinion is the QMS, if it's any good can manage itself right now. It shouldn't fall apart because you missed an internal audit. Much, much bigger things to worry about.

Jennifer Kirley likes this.
  6. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

This is a dilemma when people create a calendar approach to scheduling audits, which isn't actually a requirement. We frequently read about people being written a nc for not keeping to that calendar for all manner of reasons, often totally out of their control. Well, let me help by explaining that they dug a hole for themselves when committing to a calendar over which they have zero control. It's NOT actually required and makes little sense if you understand the true purpose of audits...

The cat is amongst the pigeons...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    John C. Abnet likes this.
  7. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

This virus is throwing all sorts of disarray into internal, supplier and certification auditing.

If you have an audit schedule but cannot adhere to it, then reschedule when you are back up and running; do the audits that best address risks and also focus on production.

As has been said, nothing requires management reviews do be held in-person and the standard does not say how often they are to be held. If you have documentation of outputs from whatever means you choose to review your business topics (which could certainly be dominated by this virus at present) you have evidence you held management review.