1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

New Supplier Development Flow

Discussion in 'Supplier Quality, Audits & Other Supplier Issues' started by Mustafa Kamal Pasha, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Mustafa Kamal Pasha

Mustafa Kamal Pasha Member

Dear all,

I have been tasked to document and highlight the flow in getting new suppliers on board.

Below will be the 7 documentations used and attached is the flow.

Can anyone guide if i am missing something here in terms of documented info?

(1)New Supplier Questionnaire
    (2)Supplier On-Site Visit Report
    (3)First Article Inspection Report (If PO is awarded)
    (4)Supplier Audit Report
    (5)Supplier Audit Schedule
    (6)KPIs – OTD, quality, cost, responsiveness etc,
    (7)ASL (Approved Supplier’s List),

Thanks
    Mustafa

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Why aren't 2 and 4 combined? Why not combine 6 & 7? Why are you considering an audit schedule? Surely, there's no need to schedule audits in advance. Why not use an event like a fall off in KPIs to trigger an audit?

It seems to me that this is in danger of becoming a bureaucracy.

3. Mustafa Kamal Pasha

Andy,

2) is the initial assessment of a supplier at their site to assess their capacity & capabilities.
    4) is the annual audit once the supplier is on board to check if all controls and procedures are in place to ensure continuity of business.

A supplier can only be on approved supplier's list (7) if their performance is satisfactory as recorded through KPIs (6).

Audit schedule is there to mark which supplier to audit in what month of the year once they make it to approved supplier's list.

4. Andy Nichols

Why? What does it achieve? ISO certification does this exactly and doesn't do anything for supplier performance. Why copy something which has proven ineffective?

5. yodon

yodon Well-Known Member

I agree with @Andy Nichols that this has all the trappings of a bureaucracy in the making.

I'm in the medical device industry so my world view may be a bit different. My company is a R&D service provider and I *hate* getting questionnaires; mainly because they're generally tailored for manufacturing operations. Also, I've seen so many that ask stuff that's absolutely irrelevant and the organization has no use for the information (and have no idea how to handle negative responses). Why not focus on what your requirements for the supplier are and ensure they meet them rather than sending out a questionnaire that may or may not cover what you need? Onsite audits are good but unless this is really critical stuff, an annual one is probably excessive. Use your risk-based approach to determine if an onsite audit is even warranted and, if so, how frequent onsite visits are required. Your KPIs (assuming you're getting good and accurate information) are probably far more valuable than annual onsite visits! If you're consistently getting good product, what added value is there in re-visiting them so frequently?

Andy Nichols likes this.
  6. Mustafa Kamal Pasha

we are currently facing multiple supplier issues hence the need for thorough screening before a new one comes on board. I wouldn't have gone into details or specifics if our supplier had excellent history for quality, responsiveness, OTD and prices. The situation is so bad that buyers are selecting suppliers just by googling them. This leads to multiple supplier non conformances which are left unresolved. Ultimately when suppliers cant do any CAPA then an internal concession has to be generated to accept as is which is ridiculous. If the supplier has made a mistake he must be made accountable for it. And the above flow is to make them responsible for their actions.

7. Andy Nichols

I think you are attempting to "close the stable door, after the horse has bolted"! Suppliers, selected in this manner will not do what you asked. You should fix the source of the problem, the Purchasing process owner! They either are unprofessional or incompetent. They must own the total cost of this reckless methodology. Trying to do "quality" after the fact is powerless. Fix the cause, not the symptom.

RoxaneB likes this.