1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Software for AIAG-VDA FMEA

Discussion in 'FMEA - Failure Modes and Effects Analysis' started by Pongsakorn, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Pongsakorn

Pongsakorn Active Member

Please advise if there is any Software for AIAG-VDA FMEA.
    I need the recommendation.

2. kbg1000

kbg1000 New Member

There are software packages available from companies such as Sphera, Omnex, Plato, and APIS. These are all powerful and expensive. AIAG has their Core Tools Software which is simpler and cheaper. Or you can use spreadsheets if your product or process is not very complex.

Pongsakorn and Andy Nichols like this.
  3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Could you help me to understand why software would be used instead of, say, a simple Excel spreadsheet? I am interested to understand what would need software to help with computing(?)

G650ER and Pongsakorn like this.
  4. Pongsakorn

Pongsakorn Active Member

Thanks, I am working out with OMNEX in Thailand and also taking a look on AIAG Core Tools Software.

5. Pongsakorn

Pongsakorn Active Member

Andy, I have no experience in using FMEA Software but I heard that it could help in automated the linkage of Process flow > FMEA > Control Plan. My organization experienced mismatch among them. In addition, FMEA software start thinking process using FTA. Since I have to revise all FMEA to be in line with AIAG-VDA, I need to take this opportunity to start using software. However, I have to understand more first before buying.

6. Andy Nichols

I understand. My caution is that software won't help with the issue you have! And this approach to FMEA isn't like the old 4th edition. It will need a full cross functional team - which is good - and will help you avoid the problems, before.

I really like the AIAG-VDA method. Software might delay you getting the most benefit.

tony s and Pongsakorn like this.
  7. Pongsakorn

Pongsakorn Active Member

Andy, really thanks for your comment. I will assess the software capability and will share my assessment result to all.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  8. leyladonmez

leyladonmez Member

Hello everyone,

We have FMEA 4th edition (the blue book). FMEA was revised. did it turn to 5th edition (again blue cover page same)? or I see aiag&vda fmea handbook 1st edition on aiag and smmt page.

9. Andy Nichols

FMEA isn't revised! The 4th edition is still valid. There's a new way to do FMEA - it's called the AIAG/VDA FMEA - but it doesn't replace the 4th edition. It's simply a different way to construct an FMEA and treat the process. Think scrambled eggs vs omelet... Similar ingredients, similar process, different results

John C. Abnet likes this.
  10. leyladonmez

leyladonmez Member

internal auditor said that RPN rule will change. it will be low-medium-high method. auditor said you will start to use this method for your new fmeas. if 4th edition is still valid what will we do for RPN etc.?

11. Andy Nichols

Your auditor is somewhat inaccurate. True, the RPN is replaced with Hi-Med-Lo Action Priority. The rest they said was incorrect AND inaccurate in that the method of AIAG/VDA FMEA is also quite different.

Auditors may not have been trained yet (or even well) enough to be making such comments. There is no mandate to use the new method (yet) except for Mercedes suppliers. Check with your customer rep FIRST. I'd suggest contacting your CB and tell them their auditor is providing inaccurate information and it's misleading.

Thanks for checking here.

12. leyladonmez

leyladonmez Member

thank you for your help. yes he told about mercedes. but he said that next year it will be mandatory.

13. Andy Nichols

Ask him where it says that...

14. leyladonmez

leyladonmez Member

Thank you Andy, you really cleared my mind. So the way we must follow is to tracking customer specific requirements and wait if customer informs us about new FMEA requirements.
    we have FMEA training already, do we need have taining again for aiag&vda fmea even we don't change any method etc.?

Andy Nichols likes this.
  15. Andy Nichols

Unless you specifically have to - or have decided to - use AIAG-VDA FMEA you don't need to have training and, it's worthwhile NOT to have training until you need it. It's called "use-it-or-lose-it".

16. T Green

T Green New Member

I'm in the Automotive Field, and we are being mandated to use the new PFMEA system. The problem that I'm having is that I can't seem to find software that places the foundational PFMEA's together as described in the standard and our customer specific requirements (similar to box cars on a train). For example, Foundation PFMEA for "Steel Receiving" + Foundation PFMEA for "Stamping" + Foundation PFMEA for "Assembly" = Full Part PFMEA.

Is anyone using PFMEA software in which Foundation PFMEA's can be linked like this? If you are, which software are you using?

17. Andy Nichols

I'm unsurprised to be honest. It's a simple concept, yet my guess is that the people who write software don't get it. The beauty of the VDA-AIAG approach is the level of simplicity for each "foundation" process FMEA. I'd imagine that most people, when they grasp this simplicity will simply use an Excel Spreadsheet, since it doesn't need an (expensive) software package to assist. I do, however, see the value in linking the Process Flow>PFMEA>CP>Standard Work etc.

18. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

From the content of this conversation, I am going to assume that IATF 16949 applies. In that case, I would counsel to ensure all applicable CSR are part of your review/decision making. For example, Ford has extremely specific CRS requirements specific to FMEA, including but not limited to....
    "FMEA Software
    Suppliers shall use FMEA software which ensures the alignment of the Foundation FMEA, Part
    FMEA, control plan and other applicable documents."

While MS Excel is indeed a software, I believe the writing is on the wall, wherein the automotive industry continues to deal with their own conflicts of interest...in this case "requiring" (implied...not literal), the use of AIAG CTS (Core Tools Software).

I will say, that from my experience with CTS, it does indeed seem to be a fairly friendly software and I would recommend anyone delving into harmonize AIAG/VDA fmea use (or at least consider/investigate using ) the CTS software.

Hope this helps.
    Be well.

RonR Quality Pro likes this.
  19. RonR Quality Pro

RonR Quality Pro Active Member

I agree with John about the CTS. i started using it when IATF first came out, and found it to be very user-friendly and simple to learn. I haven't used it in a few years (ok, more than a few) but if it retained the same sort of format that it had in the past, then you shouldn't have any significant problems learning to use it.

John C. Abnet likes this.
  20. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

PLEX, a subsidiary of my company, is releasing an FMEA solution that will meet all of the Ford requirements, including the foundation and part FMEAs.